iPhone/iPad Webapp

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

zooplibob
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

iPhone/iPad Webapp

Post by zooplibob »

I'm thinking of creating a web app for iPhone/iPad for browsing this site. Currently it is kind of a nightmare to find scores using either device, so I would like to create a javascript app which basically reads the wiki and puts an easy to use/access iPhone/iPad wrapper around it.

There are two ways I'm thinking
1) Just download the entire wiki every month or so and store the contents locally as a snapshot, which will still link to the PDFs hosted here
2) Go fetch the wiki contents with every request that comes in, so you see a live view.

Besides technical considerations, am I doing something anyone would object to? Theres no ads on here so I'm not diverting traffic from them. If I do option 2 it would actually reduce bandwidth since less people would be downloading the wiki pages.

Please let me know any inputs so I know if I should give up before I start on this. My goal is to make it easier to pull up any score with an iPhone/iPad in hand wherever I am. Thanks.

Jeff
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Re: iPhone/iPad Webapp

Post by Philidor »

Great idea. We're already using WPtouch on the Journal. More and more people do everything on their phones.
gardano
forum adept

Re: iPhone/iPad Webapp

Post by gardano »

I've been thinking of a native iPhone/iPad app, but it would only be really sustainable if categories/searches were returned in raw XML or (optimally) in JSON.

A JSON response would make a web app much more responsive as well, and presumably reduce load on the server, too.