iPhone/iPad IMSLP (partial) browser up!

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

zooplibob
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

iPhone/iPad IMSLP (partial) browser up!

Post by zooplibob »

Well since nobody complained I went ahead and implemented it. The test server is here:

http://www.eggma.org/webapp/

Obviously it is best viewed on an iPad or iPhone. I think this type of format is very convenient when you want to quickly pull up a score without browsing the cumbersome website on a small screen, especially without a keyboard.

Let me know any feedback. I just picked a few select composers for now to avoid having the main page be too long. I can easily add other popular ones.

Hopefully this will inspire the real imslp to create a mobile version that is much better than what I threw together with wget and some perl scripts.

Jeff
imslp
Site Admin

Re: iPhone/iPad IMSLP (partial) browser up!

Post by imslp »

Sorry for the late response, I was busy with another part of IMSLP.

I actually think this is very interesting. There is one main concern however: who hosts this program? Do you want to host it, or let IMSLP host it? Either way, I am willing to dedicate an IMSLP subdomain for this purpose.

However, the technical concerns are different for the two setups:

1. If you host it, I would prefer that you use the MediaWiki API to read from IMSLP: see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page Parsing of the wikitext would have to be done on the client side. Otherwise, I really like your simplicity of the user interface.
2. If IMSLP hosts it, you will have to give me the code you are using to generate the current listing. The code will have to be in PHP, or at least easily translatable to PHP.
zooplibob
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: iPhone/iPad IMSLP (partial) browser up!

Post by zooplibob »

Cool glad you liked it. I really made this for myself to use, and to show how useful a mobile version of this site would be. I just did a wget of the entire imslp wiki to download all the html files to my PC. I then used Perl scripts to parse each HTML file and generate the new, iPhone-looking files, which I then uploaded to the website. I planned on using javascript to do the HTML parsing and dynamic page generation on the fly, but I couldnt figure out how to access HTML source from other domains (same origin policy).

Jeff