Wiki pages parsing more than 20 files

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Wiki pages parsing more than 20 files

Post by daphnis »

I'm in the process of submitting all the orchestral parts for Stravinsky's 1911 Firebird suite. Apparently, it's not parsing over 20 files per entry and this one has 38. Is this something I'm doing or a software limitation?
http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Firebird_(Str ... 11_Suite_2
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Wiki pages parsing more than 20 files

Post by Carolus »

I wonder if that's a problem with the US server template. Maybe it would be a good idea to have the file-stacks in chunks like WW - Brass - Timp/Perc/Harp, etc. - Strings unless the issue is easily fixable. Items on the regular server and template seem to do OK with large stacks.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Can this be fixed retroactively? I really don't want to go back and do these again.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Carolus is right. Also, the template is a bit of a train wreck (no offence) at the moment. Not only re: the repetition, but also the fact that we are still using FTE:Externalimslpfile when we really should be using a US-server specific FTE template, so that we don't have to repeat the server flag, etc.

So, the easiest way at the moment is to break up the entry into orchestral sections. If people don't feel like doing that it's fine, but you'll have to wait a bit while I fix up the template.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Let's see if waiting for the cache to clear allows us to temporarily add more file links, because since there are so few files that use this template right now, and this is the only one that has posed a bit of a problem so far, it isn't of paramount importance if you have other things going on.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I've implemented the new #fte:server-us template. It will automatically reiterate #fte:server-us-entry for as many times as there are File Path entries (the limit is 100). There is no code support beyond the FTE {{~reiterate:~}} function, so this can be duplicated for other locational servers as necessary.

Some of the variable names have changed; the purpose is to make it as close to #fte:imslpfile as possible. Please use the Special:USUpdate page to update existing pages to the new format. The syntax is Special:USUpdate/<page name>, e.g. Special:USUpdate/Petrushka_(Stravinsky,_Igor)

You can simply check the changes between the old and updated pages to find out what variable names have changed.

Tell me if you have any questions. The #fte:Externalimslpfile template should be deprecated once all pages are converted.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Very cool, thanks! I've alerted Jonathan DePeri to this thread since he will find this information especially useful no doubt.
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

Thanks very much Ed for taking the swift initiative to implement the new US templates. I will modify the markup generator accordingly.

Jonathan
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

There are a couple of issues I've noticed with the new FTE templates, FTE#server-us and FTE#server-us-entry:
  • There is no "filetype" field in the new templates (whereas there was in FTE#Externalimslpfile). Is this intentional? (The old "filetype" field was typically set to "PDF".)
  • The special page for converting FTE#Externalimslpfile entries to FTE#server-us entries evidently converts the old "subtype" field to a new "Image Type" field (see e.g. http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Sprin ... y,_Igor%29). The value of this field would typically be either "Scanned by" or "Typeset by". But in spite of what the conversion page does, the new FTE templates themselves hardcode the value as "Scanned by": FTE:server-us-entry hardcodes it, and FTE:server-us doesn't iterate over the field "Image Type". I'm wondering whether this is just a minor oversight.
I'd make the modifications myself, but I want to make sure they indeed should be made and in any case I don't know the FTE "language" well enough to get it done correctly.

Jonathan
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The first one is intentional: the FTE template automatically determines the file type based on the file extension (see the {{~split:~}} function used in #fte:imslp-us-entry).

The second one is because I forgot to change the template to incorporate it. If you feel confident about modifying {{~reiterate:~}} you can give it a try (it will pass an argument without a trailing number to the sub-template if it can't find one with a trailing number). Otherwise, I'll fix it in a while; it's not that urgent anyhow.
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

Thanks Ed. I think I managed to fix it!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yep! The fix is exactly right.