[BUG] 100 or 200 pages listed under categories?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[BUG] 100 or 200 pages listed under categories?

Post by pml »

Now I realise having daughter categories (like Category:Legge, Philip/Editor or /Arranger) transcluded is a significant change from say, three months ago, and that it can complicate the stats. What I am seeing however is composer categories like http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Lassus,_Orlande_de where there are no other sub-categories to be considered, but only 100 pages are listed at a time, and the bottom of the listing still says:

(previous 200) (next 200)

As we are expecting to have over 1,000 entries under Lassus in the fullness of time, it would be really handy to be able to navigate these 200 at a time, rather than 100.

Also, the memberships of some categories are being calculated quite oddly. At http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Editors the first page displays “This category has the following 200 subcategories, out of 316 total.”

Oddly though, there are two more pages for a grand total of 522. The last page is rather cute in the totally oblivous way that it says “This category has the following 122 subcategories, out of 316 total.” COUNTING FAIL

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Re: [BUG] 100 or 200 pages listed under categories?

Post by imslp »

This was actually intended as a feature (and took me a while to do too...). All MultiCat views default to 100 pages per category in the initial page (only), regardless of whether there are other categories present. This limitation is because there is no easy way for the software to find out whether other categories are present in advance.

So the choices are:
1. Show 200 pages for each category in MultiCat mode, or
2. Show 100 pages in MultiCat mode, 200 pages when clicking "next" and etc. [This is the current setup]

Tell me which one you want.

Regarding Category counts, only the MultiCat categories are getting their counts refreshed every week. I'll fix it so that normal categories also get their counts updated. Because the IMSLP system takes apart a significant amount of MediaWIki code, small bugs are sometimes inevitable. Luckily in this case there is a fix.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: [BUG] 100 or 200 pages listed under categories?

Post by pml »

I see from your explanation that my confusion is from looking at the wrong category – I should have looked at very well populated ones like JS Bach or Schubert, where the number of pages displayed subsequently would have been clear.

The behaviour where subsequent pages have 200 items rather than 100 is actually what is wanted – it just appeared as though subsequent pages were displaying less than 200! I suppose the appearance of only 100 at first is what threw me.

Sorry for flagging a bug that wasn't there! Your explanation is clear ;-) Cheers Philip
--
PML (talk)