[FEAT] redirect

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Pausanias

[FEAT] redirect

Post by Pausanias »

I assume it would be clever to create the "redirect"-feature as it is established in other wikis (eg en.wikipedia.org); so we could create redirects from different spellings (especially older composers) and avoid to loose time while searching the composer name's list.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Technically this is possible, since IMSLP is running the same software. I wouldn't recommend crowding the composer list with alternate spellings, but I think there should be no problem setting up redirects for use with the internal search engine.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I found a way around the different spelling of names:

On this page:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Davydov%2C_Karl

I wrote that
His name is also spelled:
Karl Davidov
Karl Juljewitsch Dawidow
Charles Davidoff
Carl Davidoff
Карл Юльевич Давидов

This then allows the name to be found when searching for the composer and the spelling is a different. (ie. different languages use different spellings... Russian names especially).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I agree with Leonard. What Generoso did is also nice :)
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

This will not put the alternative spellings in the composer list, if that is what you want to happen. The redirect pages (a feature which by the way is already ''installed'') are not included in any category - which prevents categories from crowding.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I think Generoso meant that the page will show up if someone searches for the alternative composer name, which is a fine idea. :) Redirects are also fine, except that they are a little more work, and are sometimes obscure since they are not listed in any category (though I suppose we could make them be included in a category, like the language redirects [ex. Vivaldi Four Seasons]).