List of recent additions

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

List of recent additions

Post by kalliwoda »

This request has now been on the backburner for over a year, but has become even more urgent, and with the page just undergoing redesign, and people coming back to look at imslp after vacations, maybe now is a good time, to raise the point again:

IMSLP urgently needs a possibility to scroll through the latest additions, not just a few from the last few hours, but for at least several days: There is already the list of filenames, but for the most part these are not very descriptive, and I fail to see what makes it impossible to have access to the recently added lists of works for the last 2-4 weeks.

Actually, todays list includes just about half of the works added in the last 24 hours.
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: List of recent additions

Post by steltz »

From an admin standpoint, I use that list to do new tagging, and also to check old tags -- adding choral vocal parts that weren't necessary when we first started tagging, etc.

As it is, if I go away for more than a day, the new ones drop off that list, and now it seems like what Kalliwoda is saying is that I can't even do this morning what was done in the last 24 hours. I was completely up to date as of 18 hours ago. What he is suggesting would really help me keep up.

BTW, I do use the untagged pages button, but since many of our long-standing problem pieces are sitting there, I find it more useful to do the recent uploads first, and then if I have time to tackle an old one, then I'll go to the untagged list.
bsteltz
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

I will try to work on this, but if you need a complete list of submissions right now, I would encourage you to use the RSS/Atom feed. That is how I keep track of all the file submissions and even wiki edits. There are numerous free RSS/Atom readers around; I think Google even has a web-based one (Google Reader). RSS is also good for many other sites that involve updating lists of stuff (e.g. news sites).

Technically speaking, there are actually a few hurdles to an infinite recent additions list, which is why the system is as it is. The biggest one is how to deal with file groupings if the list extends back a long way. While I'm sure there is a solution, it may take some time to design and implement everything correctly.
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

The RSS feed is actually even shorter (50 recent changes) than the list of recent additions that opens with the "more" button. Can that number be changed?

An indefinite list of additions is actually not really needed, but coverage of the last week would be really nice (or the last 2000 recent additions?)
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Is this of no help at all?

http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:NewPages

Max
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The RSS comment gave me an idea, and there will be a new recent additions list that will go back indefinitely. Once it is up you can access it via http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPRecentAdditions/0/ for scores and /1/ for recordings. It doesn't work yet because I have not uploaded the update (will do so tomorrow or Sunday).

Hopefully this will fix the issue once and for all.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Fantastic - thank you :D
Now, will this be on the main page soon?
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

Most certainly, if somebody puts it there ;) (Otherwise, I'll do it when I can and remember to. :P)
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

(Hm. I thought I added a response to this thread yesterday.)

It would be great if the instrumentation was added to this list. Unlike on the composer pages, I don't see an option to click here to sort these pieces by type and whatnot.

Victor.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Victor, I removed it because it was pretty much the same request you put into "Add instrumentation to composer page?". Double posting is inefficient because some people answer in one thread, others in the other, and in the end there isn't a full discussion of the topic in one place.

Please see your question in the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5215
bsteltz
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

steltz wrote:Victor, I removed it because it was pretty much the same request you put into "Add instrumentation to composer page?".
It wasn't. The answer in the other case "click on the sort-by-type option" does not apply here.

Victor.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Victor, this is something I would also like to have - and I guess many other users too.
A possibility to intersect the new additions / rss feed with a work genre.

This may be difficult to implement - but it would so valuable!
VictorEijkhout
forum adept

Post by VictorEijkhout »

kalliwoda wrote:This may be difficult to implement - but it would so valuable!
Isn't every page here just a MySQL query piped into a php script (or whatever today's technologies are)? Then it should not be hard at all. Add one column to the design of the table, one field to the query.

Victor.
pierre.chepelov
active poster

Post by pierre.chepelov »

This new Recent Additions list is fantastic!
But could we have a way to intersect sort by upload date within the CategoryWalker?