New site design - tabs

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

New site design - tabs

Post by kalliwoda »

Just noticed the new tabs for scores - parts - arrangements. Looks great!

Just 2 comments:
The type size of the score section is larger than the recording section - intentionally?
The list of available rearrangement headings is lost (and would be needed for sites with many arrangements (Bach Chaconne etc)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Re: New site design - tabs

Post by vinteuil »

Both on purpose. There's no way around the second one.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
feldmahler
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by feldmahler »

1. Actually, the difference is between sections that use tabs and those that don't. I'm working on possibly unifying the two styles, but since this is not a huge functional problem, it is probably not a very high priority.
2. Perlnerd is correct that at this point I see no way around it. Technically speaking there is, of course, some way around it using fancy Javascript and all that jazz, but I'm not sure fixing this is the best use of my time right now, given several huge planned updates (this is only the first) and the complexity of this fix.

Also, just a note that the feature in the CW you were asking for has been implemented. I found a way around the performance issue (i.e. excluding the Composer section, which is the root cause of the performance issue).

Please tell me if you see any other problems!
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I already posted a response/comment to Icactus over at the Announcement thread.
As you can see by looking at the page for Handel's Messiah, it's a very handy feature indeed. I note that the typeface or font has been changed and the size increased. This has created a fair number of line breaks where there were none previously. The line beneath the main file description ("Compete Score" frequently) is a very dense one, so I wonder if some space might be saved by changing the wording a bit the "Scan Quality" section. For example using "Unrated" instead of "No ratings yet" (7 characters/spaces instead of 14) and use 10/10 (2) instead of 10/10 (2 ratings). With horizontal space at a premium on that line, it gets worse every time the download count goes from 2 digits to 3, 3 to 4, etc. I like the new font. It might be more readable in smaller sizes anyway than the one used previously, which appeared to be Helvetica or something in that family.

That's the only issue I noticed. Overall performance appears to be fine. The audio player is a wonderful addition also.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The CW feature is cool. Thank you, Feldmahler!

Re: ratings. I think I would prefer a smaller font so it all fits in. If that isn't possible, perhaps "(of 3)"? The string of numbers might not be so obvious to some people.
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Great improvement to the category walker - Thank you
just missed it because the "Focus" buttons occur not on the top level, only one level down (is that something that could be changed easily?)
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

Focus should be present in all top levels except Composer and Unknown, unless you meant a different "top level".

I'll change the rating text soon.
This is the alternate account for "imslp". (Admins: please do not add any privileges to this account.)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Got a complaint via e-mail today: The user customarily starts his visit by clicking on links for the featured new items and had difficulty finding the things which were recently added to the workpage for Verdi's Trovatore. It took him a while to figure out that they were there under the "Parts" tab. So, the question is - would it be possible to have the link for newly added items open to the correct tab?
feldmahler
regular poster

Post by feldmahler »

It is possible, but not very easy. I will keep this in mind and fix it when I am finished with other more urgent upgrades.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

This also applies for the anchor using the IMSLP number (e.g. copyright tagging)—that feature doesn't work with the tabs.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Are you absolutely sure there is really no way around No.2 (maybe with collapsible sections under the 'Arrangements' tab)? For pages like the Corelli violin sonatas, it is extremely annoying to have to scroll all the way down through as many as (by my count) 19 separate arrangement headings if you want to get to the one you want, with no shortcuts available - so you can't even see what is located farther down the page. This is a significant decrease in usability and I sort of hate to see the TOC leave and not come back in any form. (In my unadulterated opinion, the old design was much more friendly for longer pages like that...)
[EDIT:] Also, I've just noticed an issue with the US server files - see here for an example (the sections don't line up). Is this also caused by the new updates? (It's not serious, really - just thought I'd point it out)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Feld et al might want to check how this new design works with US-server template files, for example: http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet,_O ... s,_Eugene)
It would seem it doesn't quite look exactly the same as other templates.