Telemann overture TWV55:F3

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

syates
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Telemann overture TWV55:F3

Post by syates »

Ouverture TWV 55:F3 18th Century M.s.score and parts does not match the 1950 Eulenburg 1set of parts .To my surprise I found he modern set of parts refer to the Ouverture TWV 55:F4, also known as a Quintet TWV 44:7
The Ouverture F4 should be detached from the Ouverture F3 entry and have its own together with a mention of the Quintet version. TWV 44:7
Eric
active poster

Re: Telemann overture TWV55:F3

Post by Eric »

or be removed altogether for the time being if we can't find an older source for 55:F4, I think. Hrm. (I know we often try to use the Urtext exception but that's not a universal solvent...)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Eric wrote:or be removed altogether for the time being if we can't find an older source for 55:F4, I think. Hrm. (I know we often try to use the Urtext exception but that's not a universal solvent...)
Don't you mean "solution"? :lol: (Imagines urtext editions dissolving and flowing down the drain . . . .)
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I was making indeed a weak attempt at humor, apologies. ;^)
DDHautbois

Post by DDHautbois »

So is anything going to be done about this mismatch?? The original from Darmstadt F3 is correct - the modern "transcribed" parts are from F4, which is also published by Eulenberg.My undated minature score says it is in Darmstadt as "Mus. 3360/27" as Ouverture a 5 . . . del Sigr. Melante (Telemann's pseudonym). This really should be corrected.
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

I have moved the modern files over to the 44:7 page for the time being, while we still don't have an earlier scan of F4 available. Seems strange that this piece should have two different catalogue numbers attached to it - but who started the mistake?
syates

Post by syates »

Little wonder considering Telemann enormous ouput that works can be confused. In this case the overtures double identity as a quintet probably made matters worse. Anyway. I had the work performed here with a viola part I devised and it proved to be a great success with the musicians and t audience alike. Should be better known like so much of Telemann's work. If anyone wishes to perform the work with violas I would only to happy to forward you a copy. Stephen