How to rename an uploaded file?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lilyfan
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

How to rename an uploaded file?

Post by Lilyfan »

Hi all,

I've just added a file in page Lukaspassion,_BWV_246_%28Bach,_Johann_Sebastian%29 and did a typo when renaming it on my computer and did not notice it before processing.

Would it be possible to rename file #289943 PMLP10088-BWV_206-Urtext.pdf in PMLP10088-BWV_246-Urtext.pdf, which is more appropriate? I have found nothing about such a topic.

Thanks in advance,
Jean-Charles
cypressdome
active poster

Re: How to rename an uploaded file?

Post by cypressdome »

To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to rename the file. The only workaround I can think of would be to have an administrator delete the existing file and then for you to go back through the score submission process to upload the file with the corrected file name.

Cypressdome
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

surely you could just re-upload the correctly named file, by clicking on the highlighted IMSLP number (just below "Complete Score"), e.g. #289943 . This will take you to a file history page, where there is a link to "Upload a new version of this file" . Follow the instructions (I usually check "Ignore any warnings" too), and the incorrectly named file should be replaced (subject to the usual wait to become downloadable).
Fynnjamin
regular poster

Post by Fynnjamin »

oh. maybe that doesn't actually rename the file...
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

When you replace an existing file, the system does not care what the file name of the replacement is. Even after multiple updates, the file will still have its original name. Cypressdome is correct in that one cannot rename a file in the edit window (without making a mess of things). The only way to do it is to have an admin delete the original file (only admins can actually delete files) and upload the file with the changed name.
Lilyfan

Post by Lilyfan »

Thanks Cypressdome and Carolus. That's what I thought would happen.

Nevertheless, since I've modified my sources in order to generate correct instrumental and choir parts, I must reprint my "urtext" and proofread before any new uploading.

I'll let you know in due time for deleting the misnamed file.

Thanks in advance,
Jean-Charles
Lilyfan

Post by Lilyfan »

It has taken quite a while, but it was worth it.

I've uploaded a new file (#304514) named PMLP10088-BWV_246-Urtext.pdf replacing the misnamed #289943 (PMLP10088-BWV_206-Urtext.pdf), as well as all the material we will use next year (instrumental parts, vocal score and midis for those chorists who don't read notes fluently).

Could any administrator please delete the wrong file #289943 (PMLP10088-BWV_206-Urtext.pdf) from the servers.

Thanks in advance,
Jean-Charles