Uploading replacement files, CC "no derivatives," etc.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Uploading replacement files, CC "no derivatives," etc.

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello, everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around here in a while, or uploaded much lately. My concerns below have probably been answered elsewhere by now.

Yesterday I uploaded a new composition, "The Hocking Hills," to my composer page (see http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Hocking_Hills ... Lyle_K.%29), and had three problems.
  • (1) The upload module wouldn't accept my choice of "Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives 3.0" unless I changed it to "...ShareAlike" or 2-3 other choices which I did not prefer.

(2) Today I wanted to upload revised files to replace the PDF and MP3 that I had uploaded yesterday, but that option did not offer a "BROWSE" button to get the files from my computer, so I had to upload the newer files as separate additions to the work-page and add alerts to moderators in the information fields so that they would delete the earlier files from the system.

(3) I can see my piece in the index on my composer page only when I'm logged in to IMSLP.
Please advise.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Uploading replacement files, CC "no derivatives," etc.

Post by cypressdome »

I'm not sure about issue 1. CCA Non-commercial No derivatives 3.0 shows up in the list of available licenses (the last one before the performance restricted licenses). I don't know why you weren't able to select it.

The procedure for replacing a file (issue 2) is to click on the number next to the large down arrow for the score/recording you wish to replace. When the linked page opens up you will see a link in there for "upload a new version of this file."

What you describe in issue 3 is typical for all newly added work pages. It may take a few days for the server's cache to update at which time the work page will be visible on your composer page to all users (whether logged in or not).

Cypressdome
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

"Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives 3.0" doesn´t work in the uploading process together with typesets. But you may upload your
typeset with another cc license and change it after the uploading by copy and paste. In this way i uploaded the scores of www.baroquemusic.it.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Thanks for the information.

I later realized that, since this is technically a "new composition," I didn't have to choose "typeset."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
cheap imitation
regular poster

Post by cheap imitation »

I'm not sure why typesets can't be uploaded as -nd. Maybe it has something to do with typesets already being derivatives of the original, so under a -nd licence, the typeset itself would be infringement. Or something.