[FEAT]Translator parameter on work info level

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

reccmo
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[FEAT]Translator parameter on work info level

Post by reccmo »

A number of vocal works by the Danish composer Georg Gerson were originally written to multiple version of its lyrics, for example a German poem by Goethe recreated in Italian (http://imslp.org/wiki/Vorschlag_zur_Güt ... on,_Georg)). You'll find other, older and newer works like that by other composers.

For recording such information a 'translator' parameter to be used along with the {{LinkTr}} template is available for file entries only. I'm missing that facility on work level as well.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: [FEAT]Translator parameter on work info level

Post by Carolus »

You can add the translator, complete with the template, to the Librettist field in the General Information section as long as it's original to the piece not something added years later.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

Carolus wrote:You can add the translator, complete with the template, to the Librettist field in the General Information section as long as it's original to the piece not something added years later.
I tried that when I edited the work page for Gerson's Vorschlag zur Güte some days ago. I got no error on invalid parameter, but the work info section did not display the information.

A few minutes ago added the parameter once again. Now it's there as well as in the entry for the facsimile autograph. But you still have the information displayed only for the facsimile file. In the work info section you do see the name of the translator. But that's because I apply the LinkLib template. So I maintain my wish for an actively working Translator parameter on work info level.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

This feature does work Christian, and all you have to do is use {{LinkTr}} against the person's name in the librettist section, like this:

|Librettist={{LinkLib|Johann Wolfgang von|Goethe}} (1749-1832)<br>{{LinkTr|Antonio|Ganganelli}}, Italian translation

It's helpful to include birth/death dates where known (as they are for Goethe, but not for Ganganelli). I've fixed this, and also removed reference to the piano in the instrumentation and tags, as this is only used in the vocal score, not the original.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

Davydov wrote:This feature does work Christian, and all you have to do is use {{LinkTr}} against the person's name in the librettist section, like this:

|Librettist={{LinkLib|Johann Wolfgang von|Goethe}} (1749-1832)<br>{{LinkTr|Antonio|Ganganelli}}, Italian translation
OK - I can live with the label Librettist displayed for the corresponding parameter. I'm allowed to apply the Translator parameter as well. But then no information is displayed.
Davydov wrote:It's helpful to include birth/death dates where known (as they are for Goethe, but not for Ganganelli). I've fixed this, and also removed reference to the piano in the instrumentation and tags, as this is only used in the vocal score, not the original.
Meanwhile I've been able to determine that A. Ganganelli was alive 1810 (see the lit. ref. in his IMSLP page) and have added (fl. 1810) after his name.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

The "|Translator" parameter isn't recognised, and will do nothing. It isn't needed though because Ganganelli is expressly described as the translator in the librettist field, and the {{LinkTr}} places the work in Ganganelli's category as a work he's translated (not as the librettist).