Searching

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

ras1
active poster

Searching

Post by ras1 »

This is a pretty minor issue, but I notice that on CPDL, when I enter a composer's name into the search box, I'm redirected to that composer page. On IMSLP, the composer page doesn't seem to come up at all in the results. Why is this? (I thought they used the same software)
bobnotts
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by bobnotts »

I can speak for CPDL, but not IMSLP! (I'm an admin at CPDL) The reason for when you type a surname into CPDL search and you get sent to the composer page is because there are a large number of redirects set up on CPDL to point Vaughan Williams --> Ralph Vaughan Williams. Byrd --> William Byrd, etc.

IMSLP search doesn't work like this because (presumably) surname redirects haven't been created (I can't comment why this is the case).
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

The work to do this just hasn't been done. I agree that it would be very useful. Though it would require some disambiguation pages for many composers.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Ras1, If the composer doesn't show up in the results, you've probably just hit enter after typing the search term. This default search does not include composers. You have to click the "Comp." button to only search composers.

Thanks for reporting.