Debussy piano works (ed. Eberhardt Klemm, pub. Edition Peters): no longer accessible?

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

forzendo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Debussy piano works (ed. Eberhardt Klemm, pub. Edition Peters): no longer accessible?

Post by forzendo »

Hello, I was wondering what happened to several uploads of Debussy's piano works (the Preludes, Images, Estampes, Petite suite, ...) that no longer seem to be accessible on the IMSLP website.

The uploads in question were edited by Eberhardt Klemm (1929-1991) and published by Edition Peters from 1969 onwards.

They were uploaded around a decade ago by the veteran piupianissimo, and seem to have disappeared near the end of 2023 (see the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20231004141 ... y,_Claude))

These were some quality scans of cleanly typeset, gorgeous music, so any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Debussy piano works (ed. Eberhardt Klemm, pub. Edition Peters): no longer accessible?

Post by Sallen112 »

I did not delete the files as admin (one of the other admins deleted them), but assuming it's because due to some of the copyright rules we had in the past which were incorrectly followed regarding the status of fingerings, the editions have fingerings in them and based on the rules we have now were following, the fingerings are under copyright everywhere per the editor: Eberhardt Klemm, died after 1971 (and the edition has already been Non-PD USA as well). So the editions had to be deleted.

See the note on this page. We could have these again if the fingerings get removed from the volumes (which affected all the volumes in this edition), but that is a very time consuming process.
forzendo

Re: Debussy piano works (ed. Eberhardt Klemm, pub. Edition Peters): no longer accessible?

Post by forzendo »

Hi Sallen112, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! That makes sense, it's a bit of a shame but it's for the best.

I actually saw that note on fingerings but only just realised its pertinence to piupianissimo's uploads 😅

(BTW loving your Bach uploads!)
ScoreUpdater
regular poster

Post by ScoreUpdater »

In addition to Sallen112's response, yes, the files were removed on 22 November 2023. I was involved in notifying the administrator who removed the files, which were removed due to their inclusion of the editor's fingerings (which are protected under copyright).

If the editions were to be reuploaded, they would not be accepted if they contained any editorial fingerings. Klemm's work will only enter the Canadian and European public domain in 2062, and works first published in 1969 will only enter the US public domain in 2065.

Thanks!
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

A project to remove the fingerings from these editions in a systematic fashion may be begun (if some people are able to put the time into it).