Where the hell is Stravinsky?!

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Lorenzo
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Where the hell is Stravinsky?!

Post by Lorenzo »

Where?! We have composers like Gouvy or Sekles (which are, with all do respect, complete nobodies) but not Stravinsky? What the *censored*?
Matthieu
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Matthieu »

Well, given the fact Stravinski died in 1971, he is quietly waiting 2022 to become public domain in Canada and appear on IMSLP...

But, the good news is that you have 14 years from now to increase your musical spectrum and, who knows, revise your opinion about Théodore Gouvy for example.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Please, IMSLP is not a service dedicated to you. It is a non-profit website that is, out of the goodness of our hearts (so to speak), providing you with a wealth of education, entertainment et cetera. If there isn't a score, there is probably a very good reason why.

Please keep your language to a more social standard, and ask rather than demand.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Anyway, if sites like this only collected material by well known and superior quality composers, how would the "nobodies" or the "unknowns" ever be remembered by posterity?

Does a zoo only collect those animals which are the most appealing/ cute/ interesting?

One of the ideas behind this site is to make classical music LESS elitist, not more.

Aldona (who has been pleasantly surprised by some of the fine music by under-rated or "unknown" composers discovered through this and similar sites.)

(And yes, I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Stravinsky too.)
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

One of the ideas behind this site is to make classical music LESS elitist, not more.
I don't see any contradiction between that and us having Stravinsky.
Well, given the fact Stravinski died in 1971, he is quietly waiting 2022 to become public domain in Canada and appear on IMSLP...
Given the fact that I am not Canadian, will this effect the legality of me using material which is currently not legal in my country?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'm not sure of the British copyright that Israel adopted and whether the recent act is retroactive or not, but considering Israel has life plus 70, there is a good chance that it is still in Copyright there - assuming your IP is correct.
I don't see any contradiction between that and us having Stravinsky.
Well; to host only famous pieces at the detriment of all other, does.
Given the fact that I am not Canadian, will this effect the legality of me using material which is currently not legal in my country?
If it isn't legal in your country, it isn't legal for you to infringe it, regardless of what happens in Canada.

Either way, you will not be getting Stravinsky on IMSLP anytime in the near future, as IMSLP is hosted in Canada, not the US,
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Why do people complain , not having made even a single edit or contribution to the site (who's the complete nobody here)? Why does one ask, with all do respect, a very stupid question, not even having read the page that is most linked to on the wiki?

The answer's probably here