Stravinsky ballet scores online

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Stravinsky ballet scores online

Post by daphnis »

I have decided in the interim period, while the Stravinsky project is still looking for a home outside IMSLP, to post the 3 most-requested scores by Stravinsky--Petrushka, Rite of Spring and Firebird in full score as reprinted by Dover. I do so through 3rd party web hosting in the US, however the same warning applies here as to all files on IMSLP which is: It is your responsibility to understand and abide by the copyright laws of your own country. These scores are public domain in the United States only and as such may only be legally downloaded from there.

Also, please do not post here or contact me privately for special requests to be uploaded in this Stravinsky project. They will not be entertained.

Download link for Stravinsky ballet scores:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f367 ... b9a8902bda
ThaSchwab
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by ThaSchwab »

So, the ballet scores are done (I already have them). What other pieces are going to be on the website? I'm assuming Symphonies of Wind Instruments, Pulcinella, Symphony of Psalms, etc.?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I'll publish a complete list later, but things like Les Noces, Nightingale, Fireworks, Renard, Suite from Histoire du Soldat, Pulcinella vocal score, many songs, etc. Symphony for Wind Instruments and Symphony of Psalms will not be among the collection as they are still under copyright in the US.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Awesome! Thank you very much Daphnis. I've been looking for the full score of the Firebird for ages now. I only have the Dover miniature score version, which is a torture to analyze as the noteheads are just too small.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Vivaldi, aren't you not in the US?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Indeed I'm not. Does anybody know about copyright issues in Asia and whether we should follow the US or Candian rule?
This reminds me of something: I remember that Dover specified that these Stravinsky ballet scores are only available in the US (since they were published before 1923, they are public domain in the US). Fair enough. But you can still order these scores online through Amazon.com or SheetMusicPlus. I can even find them in my local music bookstore.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Dover is trying to minimize liability.
Amazon and the bookstore clearly aren't worried about copyright issues.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I believe that is unique to the US with Stravinsky. If you're in Malaysia you can look up the government's website about it (I would but I assume it is not in English). However, you probably won't get that much information as the Australian website does not promote the 50+ loophole. Try the Malaysian wikipedia maybe?
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I know not to trust Wikipedia most of the time, but most users probably wouldn't vandalize a copyright page. Wikipedia says the copyright law in Malaysia is ... life + fifty years. I'm thinking that would mean all of his works would be in the public domain starting in 2021?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I know not to trust Wikipedia most of the time
Actually Wikipedia is 95% as accurate as Britannica, has more articles and the errors get updates much quicker - and higher average of words-per-article.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I trust the website all the time; I know when I see vandalism. I back up it's case by saying that the average, pedestrian people aren't the only people who use it.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I am VERY interested in the survey they had recently, especially the statistics on whether professionals in the area edit subsequently relevant articles.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Guys, this has quickly veered off topic from that which I originally intended. Moderator, please moderate this thread accordingly and if necessary make a separate thread for any discussions pertaining to the academic/scholastic validity of Wikipedia.