Shostakovich trio

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Lorenzo
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Shostakovich trio

Post by Lorenzo »

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new here, I love this site and what you guys do, and before my request I'd like to point out that I'm not exactly clear as to the copywrite restrictions of this site. I'm a pianist, and I'm looking for the first piano trio (op. 8) written by Shostakovich. It was written in 1923, though Shostakovich didn't complete it and the last 16 bars were completed by his student years later. So I don't know if it's really restricted... Anyway, you can listen to it on youtube. Very beautiful piece of work, and I'd be happy if any of you can upload it to the site.

~Lorenzo.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The original 16 bars will be PD in the US alone - nothing else will be. IMSLP is hosted in Canada and until there is a US IMSLP it won't be uploaded.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Actually, they would not be PD in the US unless they were published before 1923. Completions of this nature are subject to all the restrictions that original works are.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Oops, I read it as 1916 and 23 bars...

Somehow... I was in a rush!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I don't think it was published in or prior to 1923 (since it was completed by his stuent I guess he never actually finished it during his lifetime, which means it was probably published somewhat 30 years ago or the such). Still, he wrote it in 1923. I guess I'll have to wait (or buy it). Thanks anyway.