Project Stravinsky: Complete pre-1923 works now available

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Project Stravinsky: Complete pre-1923 works now available

Post by audunsj »

My point was simply that it might be nice to make this orchestration available since it is PD in the US, and I would think it must be rather good when both Chaliapin and Christoff recorded it. BTW he was the nth composer to do the Volga boatmen song (even Rosa Newmarch's pitty little arrangement was written before Stravinsky's), but he was the first to orchestrate Musorgskys song, The title page of the boatmen also says "arrangé par I. S." Hardly something you would write if you considered it an original composition.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

I'll consider adding it.
audunsj
forum adept

Post by audunsj »

I must appologise, my views were expressed with a little steam... It would be great if you added it! :)
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 9 (I would've a while ago if I knew it was free), but the file still won't open. Could you consider the possibility of re-uploading the file?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Sorry, but no. I can assure you that the file in question is intact and perfectly readable. There must be something on your system preventing it from being read. I checked the archive a third time just be sure on a virtual machine and all was well (with ALL files). Can you tell me what kind of error message you're receiving? Is it in the archive decompression (if so, be sure to use the latest version of WinRAR or the like) or the file-open operation? If you're using a Mac, please don't use the Preview application but rather the official Adobe Acrobat Reader one.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

audunsj, the link and archive have been updated to include the Stravinsky orchestration of the requested Mussorgsky song.
Check the first post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1515#p8562%20.
audunsj
forum adept

Post by audunsj »

Thank you very much! :D Let me know if I can repay the favor! http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Asj (i was not allowed to use the same nick on the forums by some reason).
shelby_vn

Post by shelby_vn »

Search Google under "rar extract" or "rar extractor." There are some free programs to do that -- I had one in the past with the number "7" in the program name, but I can't find it right now.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

Do I have your permission to mirror these works? On a US server of course, and will full credit given.

Everybody should have free, convenient access to these works -- either as individual PDFs from which one can choose or as a whole collection in an easy-to-use format (RAR is proprietary and evidently not without practical problems for some users).

Jonathan DePeri
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Mr. DePeri, no permission necessary, but most kind. By all means, everyone (in the US) should have access to these scores and you may do with them as you like, but please do make sure they remain legally hosted. And no credit necessary, in fact I may lean towards no credit for my scans. I only care that others can benefit from them.
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

Are there other pre-1923 works which you have available for mirroring that are so far only provided in an obscure fashion (like this)? I'm interested in mirroring on a US-located server any and all such works, but I don't know where to locate them.

Jonathan
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Are you referring to other Stravinsky pre-1923 works? If so, no, as the first post indicates, this is the complete package.
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

I'm sorry. I was asking about other composers's works before 1923.
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

The problem with this is we then end up with a list of composers available in one place that aren't in another, at which point the whole exercise becomes a little comical, i mean i would love to see Ravel's output available for download (That which is PD in the EU), as well as all the other musicians that are being hurt because of the stupidity of the Copyright Extension Act, but i doubt thats ever going to happen, though perhaps a host in the EU could be found for those files, i dont know.
As for the composers available in the US but nowhere else i see no reason why they shouldnt be linked to, as long as the poster follows the law and posts it exclusivel on a server in the US.