Chopin Editions

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

John Ruggero
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Chopin Editions

Post by John Ruggero »

I am a great supporter of this wonderful site, use it constantly and so do my students. My only very slight criticism involves a Chopin edition that is presently offered.

In most cases IMSLP offers only the Klindworth edition of Chopin,, which is notorious for its over-editing and tampering with the text.

It would be great if other public domain editions, such as the Mikuli, Liszt etc. were available for all of Chopin's music and I might lend a hand when I have a chance to do some scanning.

Fortunately, almost all of the first and other early editions of Chopin are available online at

http://chopin.lib.uchicago.edu/

It would be great if IMSLP had a link to each piece from this site. May I assume that IMSLP does not have access to this site, since it usually has links to sites offering first editions?

Best wishes,

John Ruggero
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Chopin Editions

Post by KGill »

Well, I guess in my spare time I could crop a few of these and create PDFs from them. Or anyone else could, for that matter. But I'd be happy to do a few. Interesting collection, thanks for the link.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I am planning on getting the Mikuli editions in particular up here at some point. John is correct that the Chopin catalog here is weak insofar that only Klindworth is represented for many works.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I already started uploading some of the chicago scores in pdf a year or two ago, and I believe I still could find the photoshop macros I used then.
John Ruggero
regular poster

Post by John Ruggero »

Greatly appreciated!

John Ruggero
ilynov

Post by ilynov »

A great forum thread!!
And what about Paderewski? Is his edition still under public domain? If not, does anyone know where to find it online?
Also, which edition would you recommend as trustworthy nowadays?
Thanks in advance!!
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

G. Henle Verlag, definitely.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Peters also has a new Chopin critical edition in the works. It looks quite promising if one can go by the people involved with the editing. One of its claims to fame is said to be that only Chopin's own fingerings are indicated, many of which would be considered unorthodox but are indicative of such things as Chopin's intended phrasing and accentuation. So far only the Ballades, Waltzes and Preludes are available, as well as the 1st Piano Concerto. I haven't seen any of these editions, however.

--Sixtus

Introduction to the edition:

http://www.editionpeters.com/london/new ... ID=IN00422
ilynov

Post by ilynov »

I have some Henle volumes. But what do you think about the fingerings there? I am accustomed to considering Paderevsky's the most comfortable, plus he always tends to show Chopin's original fingering in italics.
ilynov

Post by ilynov »

Yes, you are right! I try to compare different editions when possible. Thanks for info on Ekier's edition! I'll look for it!