Orchestral Parts Project

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

jcwebber
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Orchestral Parts Project

Post by jcwebber »

I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to advertise but if so then I have a number of free public domain scores and parts on my website - just download anything you want. I also take requests but it may take awhile. I am a composer and provide public domain materials as a free service. I do not guarantee accuracy altho I usually proof read everything at least three times. If (sorry, when) anyone finds mistakes I will do my best to correct them.

If I'm not allowed to advertise than please ignore and forgive.

Apropos orchestral parts (which is what I'm supposed to be talking about after all!) I have everything printed on 9x12 (I use Subito Music Corp for printing and am very happy with their work). I would like to 'upgrade' to 10x13 but don't know of a printer (ie person not machine) who will do 13x20 printing and would therefore have to print locally on 11x17 and then cut down and bind with tape. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced printer (person not ...) ? (Subito charges about 15¢ per 9x12 page).

John Webber
www.webbermusic.org
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You are quite free to upload all of these, including your own works, to this site if you like. These appear to be new typesets of the public domain titles, which we certainly welcome. If you look at the pages for a number of living composers here, you'll see that there are frequently links back to their own pages, etc.
sidrockafeller
regular poster

Post by sidrockafeller »

I've noticed that you guys have Complete Parts to the Majority of Wagner's Operas, and some Offenbach Opera Buffa.. Will there be any Mozart, Puccini, Verdi or Rossini in near future?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I don't think that OM is planning it, but if it's released, then perhaps.
[EDIT: Upon checking their website, some nice full scores are now available, but no Mozart or Verdi]
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Puccini is a VERY interesting question -- the reason that at least one of his works (Turandot) is still under copyright because of the librettist.

What is the status of orchestral parts that don't have the libretto embedded in them. The one potential catch is that orchestral musicians always put a couple of words in as cues after long rests.

If the copyright problem is the words, are the orchestral parts still public domain?
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Yes, if they can be verified to include no text (which is, as you say, by no means a given).
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

If it's just a few words used as cues, I doubt there would be a problem as it would probably fall under the fair-use clauses of several laws. That's different than a vocal score or some piano reductions which have the whole libretto above the music.
sidrockafeller
regular poster

Post by sidrockafeller »

Thanks! :mrgreen:
sidrockafeller
regular poster

Post by sidrockafeller »

I have just visited the Orchestral Musician's CD-R library website, and "In the Making" are the operas of Verdi, Puccini and Mozart, and Ballet's.

There hasn't been a released date of when these will be available but hopefully soon in the next 6mos.

DrSRo
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Wonderful!
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I hope someone keeps a mental note of this and either lets myself or Carolus know when they're released as we'd like to acquire them I'm sure.
sidrockafeller
regular poster

Post by sidrockafeller »

daphnis wrote:I hope someone keeps a mental note of this and either lets myself or Carolus know when they're released as we'd like to acquire them I'm sure.
Believe me, I will definitely keep tabs on this, I find it much cheaper to purchase these OM parts, or wait for those to become available here and then acquiesce these parts. Than to Purchase separate parts, believe me I'm always wanting a Clean copy to put new revisions in I.E. Fingering's and Bowing's etc.. Because trust me, I have every single part available in either pdf format or a Nice bound copy.

And some of these Earlier stuff that was pd in the 80's till the bums decided to GATT them its been much harder now to even find Clean copys.

DrSRo
Piano50meister

Post by Piano50meister »

Question: Are there any plans to have orchestral parts for operas here?
Piano50meister

Re: Orchestral Parts Project - Ravel

Post by Piano50meister »

I noticed that Daphnis et Chloe suites (1 & 2) contain orch parts. Are there any future plans to downloading the orch parts for the entire ballet?
Thanks
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

@Piano50meister: We already have parts for the major Wagner operas here, plus several others (a few Offenbach items, notably). We'll gladly take whatever parts contributors have to offer for both opera and ballet, as long as they are public domain or have been released under a creative commons license. For example, we have several items of the French baroque era by Lully and Rameau which have been newly engraved by Nicolas Sceaux and released by him under a Creative Commons license. These are all available for download to anyone who wants them, 24 x 7 x 365.