The Grand Ballet Music of Adolphe Adam

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

chupacabra
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

The Grand Ballet Music of Adolphe Adam

Post by chupacabra »

Good Evening To You All:
Ever since I was five years of age, I have loved and been fascinated by the Ballet Music of Adolphe Adam, who represents to me the High Point of French Romantic Ballet. Who does not love the score of "Giselle"? In addition, over the years, I have to come to study and memorize the scores of "Le Diable a Quatre", "La Filleule Des Fees", and "La Jolie Fille De Gand", the last two works which are GEMS from first bar to last!!!
This being said, I am asking for any information from the Musical Community Forum herein regarding the composition techniques employed by Adam: specifically, HOW did he compose his ballet works? Was he given the synopsis by the Choreographer and then allowed a totally free hand? Did the composer determine the time signatures, length and number of movements? Was the composer restrained by the Choreographer in regard to the dancers' capabilities and limitations?
Of course I realize that the storyline is all-important to the musical work(s) in question; certainly no disrespect to the Choreographer is intended! But as a Musicologist, I do believe that the MUSIC is what makes the opus!
In my biographical researches, I have only been able to ascertain dates of composition of these works as cited above. Any other information that you may give me will be very highly regarded and appreciated!
Thank you for your time!
- El Chupacabra -
***************************************************************************************************************************************************