Dvorak Symphonic Poems - and Op. 72

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Dvorak Symphonic Poems - and Op. 72

Post by vinteuil »

The Full scores for these important works are a major gap in the collection, IMHO - either the Simrock or the SNKLHU.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Dvorak Symphonic Poems - and Op. 72

Post by Hobbypianist »

You are right, major works of this excellent composer are still missing, not to mention the symphonies 1-4.

I have the op.72. Currently I'm still occupied with other composers of my scanning queue, but after that I'll post the dances. Another 800 pages of orchestral works including the tone poems are planned. This will take a little bit of time...maybe sometime in November/December.

HP
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Wow, thanks!
Op. 72 would make an excellent PLP score (are you listening Carolus?) - Dover hasn't reprinted it, making it somewhat harder to find a good cheap edition.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

I wish we could get a reading as to whether or not the introductions and critical reports in the Dvorak Critical Edition are PD or not. I've asked this question in Copyright Related and have yet to find out. That editon, after all, was state-sponsored. There are important variants from earlier editions in the Critical Edition that are explained in the critical reports, not to mention the lists of corrected engraving and other errors.

--Sixtus

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2570
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

I'll scan the editors' notes separately. If permissible and desired it can then be uploaded later on.

HP
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

As far as Canada and the USA, the answer would appear to be "no" - prefaces and editorial notes are arguably the only the only works of original authorship associated with the urtext edition in question (apart from continuo realizations). As for the EU, there seems to be some confusion about the issue. For example, BSB has no problem posting critical editions complete with the preface, notes and (in at least one case) the continuo realization. Perhaps Germany's section 70 assigns the whole edition to the urtext category, which translates to a term of 25 years from publication. On the other hand, it's certainly not impossible that this is an foolish assumption on a librarian's part.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Thanks for Op. 72, Hobbypianist.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Bump, Carolus: Op. 72 suuuuure would make a great PLP score.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Added to the list. Suggestions are always appreciated. In fact, I think I'll start a thread called PLP Suggestion Box.