Works by Giovanni Bottesini

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Works by Giovanni Bottesini

Post by Starrmark »

One of the most unjustly neglected composers of the 19th Century is Giovanni Bottesini. Aside from his delightful and popular Gran Duo for Violin, Double Bass and Orchestra, his large catalog of works is virtually ignored, even today in his native Italy. Because Bottesini was indisputably the greatest double bass virtuoso ever, and he wrote many display pieces to show off his astounding technique, it is wrongfully assumed by many that he composed nothing but fluff. First of all, his showpieces for double bass are of exceptional musical interest as well as technical quality, on a level with Paganini's showpieces for the violin. However, Bottesini also composed a considerable number of major, serious works -- and I think the availability of his scores on IMSLP might spark renewed interest in his music (most of which is exceedingly difficult to find today.) He composed a Requiem that rivals that of his close friend Verdi (it is published by Ricordi, as I recall.) His operas include Cristoforo Colombo, Ali Baba, Ero e Leandro (with libretto by Boito), Il Diavolo della notte, Vicinguerra and Marion Delorme; an oratorio, The Garden of Olivet; eleven (!!!) string quartets; a string quintet (with double bass, naturally); some gorgeous songs. I recall reading long ago about some orchestral works (symphonies, overtures, etc), as well as:

Adagio melanconico appassionato
Allegretto-Capriccio
Allegro Di Concerto "Alla Mendelssohn" (aka "Gran Allegro")
Aria da Bach
Auld Robin
Gray Barber of Seville
Bolero
Capriccio Di Bravura
Carnival of Venice
Cerrito
Concertino
Concerto Di Bravura
Concerto for Violoncello and double bass G major
Concerto No. 1 in F# Minor for Double Bass and Orchestra
Concerto No. 2 in B Minor for Double Bass and Orchestra Gran Duo
Elegy in D no. 1
Elegy No. 2,
"Romanza Drammatica"
Elegy No. 3,
"Romanza Patetica"
Fantasia Beatrice di Tenda
Fantasy on "La Sonnambula"
Passione Amorosa (Andante)
Introduction And Gavotte
Melodia
Melody in E minor
Tarantella in A minor
Three duets for two double basses
Variations on the aria "Nel cor piu non mi sento" (by Giovanni Paisiello)

and last - but not least - The Gran Duo Concertant on themes from Bellini's 'I Puritani' for cello, double bass and orchestra (edited by Mark Starr, published by Edition Billaudot, Paris, but definitely not PD.)

MS