"IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

"IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Post by vinteuil »

What scores does everybody think are the biggest gaps in the IMSLP collection?
My vote: Weber "Great Overtures" (Dover) and Clarinet Concerto No. 1
Also, any parts that need scores could go here.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: "IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Post by daphnis »

Let's please keep this list to works which we can ALL agree are significant works we lack, not merely an extension of the score requests forum where personal requests go.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Berlioz: Les Troyens, complete score
(I think you guys are already working on this.)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Check with Carolus about that one.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

There's a good chunk of Mozart's well known pieces missing IIRC, probably because the ease of getting the NMA editions.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Let's please have specific names of pieces. Thanks.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I hope this isn't going to encourage more pointless posts wishing for copyrighted scores. :cry:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

No, it will not. Scores found to be in copyright in Canada will be removed from this list.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Haydn's : 7 Last words in its Orchestral and Choral versions (there may not be a PD score of these)
Schoenberg: Op.8 Orchestral Songs in its full orchestration (I've only seen a reduced-orchestration version, IMSLP only has a PV version)
Wagner: Rienzi full score (id buy a copy of the Eulenburg study score, which is probably PD, but it is out of print)
Wagner: Meistersinger full score (Dover/Peters edition is PD and the one to go after)
Strauss: Orchestral Lieder (Boosey has a complete -- but expensive -- volume of these, many of which are now in the PD in the US).
Complete editions of major Renaissance/Medieval music (Palestrina, Victoria, Lassus etc.)

This is what I've thought of off the top of my head. Other large lacunae have recently begun to be filled, thank goodness (e.g. Biber, orchestral Dvorak, volumes of DTO etc.)

--sixtus
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

daphnis wrote:No, it will not. Scores found to be in copyright in Canada will be removed from this list.
There will still be pointless posts asking for such pieces. Just sayin'. 8)
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
dwil9798
active poster

Post by dwil9798 »

Since no one has responded to my topic about it, I suggest any works that are PD by Janacek, specifically his full or vocal scores to his operas Jenufa, Excursions of Mr. Broucek, Kata Kabanova, or Cunning Little Vixen (not sure about that one though). Also, the full scores to Taras Bulba and the Lachian Dances would be greatly appreciated.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Some random items...

Schütz, of the big collections: Psalmen Davids Opp. 2 and 5, Cantiones sacrae Op. 4, Symphonie sacrae Opp. 6, 10 and 12; along with the three passions (St Matthew, St Luke, and St John) and the Musikalisches Exequien Op. 7.

WA Mozart, IMSLP is mainly deficient in the church works: particularly the Kronüngsmesse KV 317 (parts but no scores), Missa solemnis KV 337, Solemn Vespers KV 339 and KV 321, the Litany of the most holy sacrament of the altar, KV 243, but also the Masonic Funeral Music KV 479, and his arrangement of Handel's Messiah KV 572.

Berlioz, besides Les Troyens mentioned above or a vocal score of Cellini (anything!), the Requiem in full score is perhaps most needed (I have tried to fill this gap, but am unlikely to finish my edition before someone uploads a scan of the rather deficient OBE version) rather more than the two remaining concert overtures (Lear, and Waverley).

Mussorgsky, Khovanshchina and Sorotchinsky Fair full scores (if Rimsky's and Cui's completions were issued pre 1923 - I assume they must have been)

Elgar, full scores to Falstaff, Gerontius, and Symphony No. 2 (amongst numerous other works lacking FSs)

Vaughan Williams, full scores to Symphonies 2 and 3 (both again pre 1923, though there is question over the later work)

Following up on Sixtus B's comments elsewhere, I notice the collection of works by Johann Strauss II is very deficient - not only for significant or popular works missing (Opp. 234, 410, 214, 289, 348, 43), but that many works are only represented by piano arrangements or transcriptions (Opp. 279, 319, 324, 325, 333, 346, 354, 367, 388, 437), and virtually no full scores - in fact some collections of parts without scores (e.g. Op. 257). The brilliance of these works is in no small part thanks to Strauss' orchestration, which is more-or-less decapitated (as Berlioz would say) by reducing it to piano.

PML
--
PML (talk)
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

pml wrote: The brilliance of these works is in no small part thanks to Strauss' orchestration, which is more-or-less decapitated (as Berlioz would say) by reducing it to piano.
PML
Many of Strauss's scores were partly orchestred by others (not sure by how much though). In fact, if one comes across the right recordings, one can find some obvious differences (which no arranger credited).
As for piano scores -- well I'm pretty sure they were published that way (as well as violin + piano) right off, though it probably wasn't his own versions.
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Hi,
Palestrina and partially Schuetz neue ausgabe will be soon available. (scans are already done, I am editing them)
Hope someone can upload Lassus Breitkopf edition
Most of the polyphony published in the Corpus Mensurabilis Musicae and CEKM is "blocked" by the US copyright, but there should be alternative scores
Hermann Schein works is also PD.
Another big gap is the early piano literature (Rutini, Galuppi, Dalla Ciaia, Vento, Grazioli, Giustini) or in general early 1700 keyboard works
And what about the 18th Cent. Operas? Tons on pages still unpublished

Ctesibius
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

ctesibius wrote:[...] Another big gap is the early piano literature (Rutini, Galuppi, Dalla Ciaia, Vento, Grazioli, Giustini) or in general early 1700 keyboard works
And what about the 18th Cent. Operas? Tons on pages still unpublished [...]
I would guess that a good deal of these might still be under copyright if available only as modern editions. (Manuscripts may be another matter, however.)