"IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: "IMSLP's biggest holes" - Most Wanted Scores

Post by daphnis »

We're missing the point of this thread; this is not for "general" score requests.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Philip et al,

I'm pleased to report I have the Belaieff first edition of the full score (plate 2000) to The Tsar's Bride and will be uploading it soon.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Full score now available.
Gurnemanz

Post by Gurnemanz »

Hi. I'm looking for Sibelius' Kullervo score. Any clue? It is an early tone poem, I don't think there are copyright problems.
Thank you.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Actually, there are copyright problems. It was first published in the orchestral form in 1961, which means it is copyright everywhere, and hence why I did not upload it in my Sibelius complete works project.
Gurnemanz

Post by Gurnemanz »

daphnis wrote:Actually, there are copyright problems. It was first published in the orchestral form in 1961, which means it is copyright everywhere, and hence why I did not upload it in my Sibelius complete works project.
Damn. Thank you very much, I think I'm going to look for the score to buy. If it does exists.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Gurnemanz wrote:
daphnis wrote:Actually, there are copyright problems. It was first published in the orchestral form in 1961, which means it is copyright everywhere, and hence why I did not upload it in my Sibelius complete works project.
Damn. Thank you very much, I think I'm going to look for the score to buy. If it does exists.
Kullervo has been recently been published in its entirety by Breitkopf as part of a new critical edition of Sibelius' works. It's available in miniscore format, reasonably priced, and I highly recommend it. Other works issued in critical edition miniscore format include Luonnotar and the 2nd Symphony, which I can also recommend.

--Sixtus
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

The biggest holes that I see on IMSLP are the orchestral scores for the operas of Giacomo Meyerbeer. There are vocal/piano scores here for:
Africaine
Il Crociato
l'Etoile du nord
Huguenots
Pardon de Ploermel
Prophete
Robert le Diable

but no orchestral scores. Considering that Meyerbeer was for a period of years the most frequently and widely performed living composer of operas, lack of access to the orchestral scores of his operas is indeed a black hole.

Struensee is incidental music to a drama, not an opera -- but as one of Meyerbeer's most beautiful works, the orchestral score deserves representation here as well.

MS
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Meyerbeer:
I've seen Garland facsimile reprints of the full scores of Prophete and Huguenots on library shelves. There may be others in the same series (I think Rossini's William Tell is one of them). Unless one of the major French collections or the Paris Opera posts the originals, these reprints would be the ones to go after.

--Sixtus
jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jsnfmn »

sbeckmesser wrote:Meyerbeer:
I've seen Garland facsimile reprints of the full scores of Prophete and Huguenots on library shelves. There may be others in the same series (I think Rossini's William Tell is one of them). Unless one of the major French collections or the Paris Opera posts the originals, these reprints would be the ones to go after.

--Sixtus
I've been thinking of doing some of these when my free time opens up again, it's a daunting project though.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

The problem with his works are that the full scores are sometimes extremely rare. And some of the facsimile reprints I've seen from the same series that reprints his works are done in greyscale or color, making proper scans very difficult if not impossible.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

belated reply re The Wooden Prince (op13/Sz60) of Bartok- the UE score that was published in 1921 was the piano score (plate 6635) - the full score was apparently not published until 1924 (Universal plate 6638). University of Buffalo has the latter (269page score.)
Eric
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Then at this point it really doesn't matter as it'll be blocked if/when it goes up.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

apologies, I meant to reply to that, not edit it. Stupid Eric, stupid.

"Hrm. How is 'earliest publication' determined in such a case? The work was first published in some complete form (not as an excerpt) in 1921- though first as a full score in 1924, after the 1922/3 divide. So I wonder how US copyright law would treat the orchestral score... at least the piano arrangement would not be blocked, unless the person who transcribed it died less than 50 years ago etc. Eric" was what I meant to write... (apologies for the residual quotes in your post, Daphnis, but having bungled this so badly I decided not to do so further, and now I have to run. :( Ack!!! I had no idea what I was doing... I apologize.- ES)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Copyright consideration for Canada/EU is a moot point as these regions are based on a life plus term. For the US, only the date of publication is the factor, and in this regard the piano version is completely separate from the orchestral score. If what you say is true, then the piano score would be free but orchestral score would not be.