J. F. Hummel, L. Spohr

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

drunken_firebird
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

J. F. Hummel, L. Spohr

Post by drunken_firebird »

Hi! Thanks for your great site. Haven't found here some clarinet concerti. Spohr's N2, N3 and N4, and J. F. Hummel's (not J. N.!) N1 and N2. Can someone upload this?
steltz
active poster

Re: J. F. Hummel, L. Spohr

Post by steltz »

I don't know whether you are looking for orchestral parts or piano reductions, but I have recently discovered that Spohr's concertos no. 3-4 were "reconstructed" by Eduard Hanisch, d.1987? Anyway, definitely not public domain if the reconstruction involved any creative input or additions. I have personally been looking for a while for the autograph manuscripts, which haven't been digitized by anyone yet. It wll be impossible to say how extensive the reconstructions are without those manuscripts. Effectively, this means that for the near future, unless someone can upload those digitizations, no Spohr orchestral scores of these two concertos can be uploaded.

I haven't done any work yet in finding the Hummel's, so maybe someone else knows about those.
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

There are editions of Nº3 and 4 edited by Carl Rundnagel (1835-1911), first published by Breitkopf in 1885 and reprinted frequently. These should be safely public domain, not sure if these are the source of the Kalmus reprints.

Regarding Joseph Friedrich Hummel (1841-1919), director of the Salzburg Mozarteum: Both clarinet concerti were published posthumously in 1975/76 bei Breitkopf(piano reduction by Ulrich Haverkampf, still alive) - so these are off limits, but there is also an edition of the 2. concerto without an editor credited from ca.1932 i.e. public domain except for the US.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I'm wondering about the reconstruction too since just the use of the word half hints that the manuscript of Spohr 3, 4 or both might be lost or at very best needed serious work for performability purposes... will see if I can tease out anything based on any info elsewhere...
The manuscript of 3 and perhaps of 4 also were kept by Hermstedt, never returned to the composer, and may only have been found after the reconstruction by Hanisch from what material then existed, is one possibility...?
Not sure... such information as I'm picking up here and there on the web I'm getting very piecemeal and in side views ;^). Will try to get something more definite.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

What surprised me about the 3rd and 4th concerto is that they were written in 1821 and 1828 respectively, 30+ years before Spohr died. One tends to find reconstructions more with works left unfinished at the composer's death. This can't be the case with these works, because they were both played by Hermstedt, the 4th in 1829. Grove Music lists the first publication date as "Leipzig, 1885" for both, so provided that edition could be found it would be very uploadable.

However, I have found in the meantime that, according to Pamela Weston in Clarinet Virtuosi of the Past (p.96), the manuscripts for the third and fourth concerti are in the library of the Loh-orchestra at Sondershausen. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a web presence, or contact email address, and I doubt their library has been at all digitized.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

According to Brown's Spohr biography, he left at least the 3rd, maybe the 4th, concerto with Hermstedt (never got it back) and another source (will have to recheck where...) mentioned Spohr's fearing that they then were lost..., so maybe the manuscripts -did- get relatively lost- there was something about some of Spohr's concerto manuscripts being rediscovered recently, maybe these were among them...
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I think he did fear that they were lost, but then Grove Music lists them as being published in 1885 -- perhaps Hermstedt sold them to a publisher . . . . (intriguing mystery).
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

The manuscripts that I was referring to were the full scores and parts, not the piano reductions, which may have had a different history- I don't know.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The Breitkopf Editions of 1885 are piano reductions, but the following paper makes clear, that the original scores must have survived:
http://regiowiki.hna.de/Louis_Spohrs_Kl ... enkonzerte
duffle2000

Post by duffle2000 »

I reference to Kalliwoda's statement: "Regarding Joseph Friedrich Hummel (1841-1919), director of the Salzburg Mozarteum: Both clarinet concerti were published posthumously in 1975/76 bei Breitkopf(piano reduction by Ulrich Haverkampf, still alive) - so these are off limits, but there is also an edition of the 2. concerto without an editor credited from ca.1932 i.e. public domain except for the US."
I would like to ask if there is any info about this 1932 edition of J. F. Hummel's 2nd Concerto for Clarinet. Is this an orchestral score, a set of orchestra parts, or a piano reduction? I am attempting to locate either a full score or a set of parts for study.
I would greatly appreciate any info anyone can provide!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

2nd concerto JF Hummel in F minor, ca.1932 edition - piano reduction. See http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/AC09184333.