Schumann Violin Sonata no3

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Schumann Violin Sonata no3

Post by WilliamBunting »

The manuscript version of the FAE sonata by Schumann, Dietrich and Brahms is available in digital form on SBB, unfortunately weighing in at 120 MB.

Strangely IMSLP has Brahms' movement but not the others. Wikipedia tells us "Schumann incorporated his two movements into his Violin Sonata No. 3", but only two violin sonatas are listed in the complete edition, Op 105 and 121.

Is there a violin sonata no3? If so could someone upload it? Perhaps a note could be put on the FAE sonata page explaining the situation.

Regards
WB
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Schumann Violin Sonata no3

Post by coulonnus »

WilliamBunting wrote:Wikipedia tells us "Schumann incorporated his two movements into his Violin Sonata No. 3"
The Italian version of this Wikipedia article:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_F.A.E. mentions this edition:
Schumann, Sonaten für Violine und Klavier / Band 2, Wiener Urtext Edition, Vienna, 2007, ISMN M-50057-258-9, ISBN 3-85055-599-9 (contiene la Sonata F.A.E. e la terza Sonata). Hope this helps.
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

According to the Schott edition of 1956 (ed. by Neighbor), "The four movements of this sonata were never assembled and prepared for publication...and are published here for the first time."
Jim
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Thank you for the details.

Sorry, I didn't notice this on the work list page:

Works without Opus number published or prepared for publishing by Schumann
WoO 1, Violin Concerto in D minor (1853)
WoO 2, Violin Sonata No.3 in A minor (1853)

It seeems strange that RS prepared S no 3 for publication then it was left out of the complete edition.
Incidentally, you can enjoy a performance on youtube.

Regards
WB
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I do not see a performance of Sonata #3 on youtube...
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

jossuk wrote:I do not see a performance of Sonata #3 on youtube...
Perhaps this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCZF58wsww
Otherwise go to http://video.google.com/and type: schumann fae "violin sonata" site:youtube.com
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Sorry, I was referring to the slow movt only. (Intermezzo of the FAE)
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

There is a more recent version of Sonata #3, published by Universal Editions. The publisher's description follows:

In Vol. 2 of the Violin Sonatas by Robert Schumann, the Wiener Urtext Edition presents the F.A.E. sonata jointly composed by Schumann, Brahms and Albert Dietrich, as well as the edited version, with the movements of Brahms and Dietrich being replaced, as third violin sonata of Robert Schumann. The present edition is based on the edition published in 2002 in the New Schumann Complete Edition and thus on the latest musicological findings. In the case of the F.A.E. sonata, this is mainly a matter of slight changes in the fields of dynamics and articulation. In the case of Schumann's third violin sonata, the present edition differs more significantly from the first edition published in 1956 and the slightly revised new edition of 1988. The order of the middle movements the accuracy of which could not be clearly determined up to now has been changed, compared to the earlier editions, because of newly found documents. In addition, the repetition of the first section of the middle part notated in the first edition before the last 13 bars, yet not intended by Schumann has been omitted. The repetition demanded by the composer, however, of the first eight bars before the beginning of the coda which is missing in hitherto publications has been added. Moreover, in contrast to the first edition, the new edition contains a variant for bar 100 in the first movement which was not written out in full by Schumann.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

WilliamBunting wrote:
Sorry, I was referring to the slow movt only. (Intermezzo of the FAE)
Isn't this slow enough? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCZF58wsww
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Coulonnus, you should read through the entire exchange of comments. The movement on youtube is not the main subject of the discussion.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

belated reply: we now do have a page for violin sonata no.3 (WoO 2 or WoO 27? I thought the latter, but, it seems, the former). Wikipedia-en doesn't (neither do the other Wikipedias in various languages, or if they do, they're not well categorized) but maybe I should create at least the stub of one (in en) soon.

-E.Schissel