Haydn Horn Concerto No.1 in D Hob. VIId:3 (Score/Parts)

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

zachtay
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Haydn Horn Concerto No.1 in D Hob. VIId:3 (Score/Parts)

Post by zachtay »

Hi there, I conduct a small orchestra in Melbourne, Australia. We are looking to perform this horn concerto by Haydn but have difficulty finding a good score and set of parts for the orchestra.

Joseph Haydn - Horn Concerto No. 1 in D major, Hob. VIId:3 (Full Score and Parts)

Will be great if we could get hold of the score and parts before our March 31 concert, will greatly appreciate any help you could provide!
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Haydn Horn Concerto No.1 in D Hob. VIId:3 (Score/Parts)

Post by horndude77 »

zachtay wrote:Will be great if we could get hold of the score and parts before our March 31 concert, will greatly appreciate any help you could provide!
I'd love to help create the parts if you could get a hold of a public domain score. I have an Eulenburg score (E.E. 6168, 1960?) edited by Christa Landon, but I don't believe it's public domain. Can anyone confirm this?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Published by Eulenburg in 1959, as far as I can make out (along with multiple later editions, including Billaudot and Henle). The earliest publication I can find is the 1952 Boosey & Hawkes edition, an arrangement for horn and piano by Heinz Herbert Steves. While this was registered
with the US Copyright Office, making it under copyright worldwide (well, probably), the Eulenburg was not and is therefore uploadable to at least the US server here. As Christa Landon was a musicologist, I presume that this edition is urtext; can anyone confirm that? If so, it would be uploadable and accessible to all, and of course it would be perfectly legal for horndude to make the parts from it.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Kalmus has its own edition, edited by McAlister.

http://www.efkalmus.com/kalorchdetail.php?r=2678
zachtay

Post by zachtay »

Thanks so much for writing back guys, horndude I'm very appreciative that you might be able to help! Sincere thanks. What are your thoughts, would you be interested to produce the parts for this?
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

http://imslp.org/wiki/Horn_Concerto_No. ... n,_Joseph)

I've uploaded the score. The copyright team still needs to review it. Take a look when that's done.
zachtay

Post by zachtay »

Thanks for writing back with the PM horndude, I can't reply via PM because I'm a new member unfortunately, am definitely happy to help proof the parts before release, could you please send them to [email address removed]?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sorry, Zachtay, I removed your email address -- we don't allow private filesharing, even though the purpose of it might be sound and legal. I'm sure you can proofread from uploaded files.
bsteltz
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

steltz wrote:Sorry, Zachtay, I removed your email address -- we don't allow private filesharing, even though the purpose of it might be sound and legal. I'm sure you can proofread from uploaded files.
I apologize. I'll upload the first draft this evening after work.

A few things that would be nice to add:
- rehearsal marks
- cues
- good page turns

Let me know any suggestions on these. Page turning is hard in the never-not-playing violin parts, but I can at least attempt to get rid of widow systems before or after page breaks. There are some phrases where the first violins are doubling the solo part so those might be valid places for page turns. The oboe parts are only two pages long so there's no problem there. The viola and bass parts have some small breaks which could make adding page turns easier.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

horndude77 wrote:There are some phrases where the first violins are doubling the solo part so those might be valid places for page turns.
Other good places to look for are places where the whole orchestra is playing anyway, so it isn't so crucial if the inner desk people lean over to turn a page -- the 2nd violins/viola/celli/basses cover the temporary dip in sound.
bsteltz
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

I've uploaded the first draft. I did a very quick listen and added some rehearsal marks though surely they're not optimal. I also noticed that I neglected to name the instruments at the start of the score so I'll need to to correct that. I'll have some time this weekend to work on it.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

I uploaded a new version:
* The page turns in the parts should be better, but the music may be a bit compressed.
* The page size is now 9x12 inches. I assume you'll be printing on A4 paper, but hopefully the music won't be too small when scaling down.
* Margins are wider.
* "Solo" and "Tutti" sections are added to mark when the horn is playing and when the orchestra is playing.
* Re-did the rehearsal marks. They don't restart at 'A' for each movement. Hopefully they make sense.

Enjoy!
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Zachtay, did this happen on your concert? I'm curious to know. Thanks!
zachtay

Post by zachtay »

Hi there Horndude77, apologies that this note of thanks is so late -- I only read just this! I should activate email alerts for replies to threads.

Yes we did perform with your parts, I believe we used the earlier version, and the rehearsals and concert went smoothly without a glitch. It was excellent and we couldn't have done it without your help! Thank you very much! Apologies again that this note is two years late. I didn't think to search for this thread again until our last correspondence re: "Hornsignal". Hope you're well.