William Herschel, organ works, Edinburgh

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

William Herschel, organ works, Edinburgh

Post by coulonnus »

The Edinburgh University library holds autographs of Fugues, Voluntaries and other organ pieces
by Sir William Herschel, the astronomer, 1738-1822. See http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/herschel.html Is there an Edinburgher willing to see what can be done?
mtomii

Re: William Herschel, organ works, Edinburgh

Post by mtomii »

Anyone please help, his music deserves to be known.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

According to RISM, there's also a few things by him at the British Library, London (an Anteludium in E-flat on Psalm 125 (unsigned ms copy. GB-Lbl/ MS Mus. 90), ms autograph parts for a G major organ concerto (perhaps this is well-known, I do not know... (no tempo ind. - Andante Assai - Allegro ) - RISM - GB-Lbl/ MS Mus. 89) , and a few other anteludes (2 and one incomplete) in autograph manuscript (Ms Mus. 90 again) (RISM). (RISM also lists autograph scores/parts of some of the symphonies that were recorded recently-ish on Chandos, I think. Or at least, symphonies, which may be among the ones that were recorded by Bamert, also others by him (quite a few in minor I see - even at least one in B minor...); some 4 dozen or so sources for symphonies- some for the same work no doubt- are listed at the site, often at the British Library - under William, Wilhelm or Friedrich Wilhelm Herschel. Quite a few violin/continuo sonatas, too, and concertos, for oboe, organ (one in G and one in D), violin, viola and other solo instruments.

Also note this at Cambridge University Library - copied by Herschel, some of which including some organ voluntaries are by Herschel.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Now the University of Edinburgh has scanned its collection: https://openbooks.is.ed.ac.uk/ Thanks to them!
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

That's great news, Coulonnus.
I took the liberty of creating pages for these pieces and editing and uploading the scores.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Herschel,_William
It's interesting, sometimes really captivating music - and a big plus is that most pieces can be played directly from the clean written manuscript (no soprano or alto keys etc). Though a new typeset Urtext edition would be very welcome, of course.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks for this job, but you've trimmed the University of Edinburgh introduction. Is CCBY license a nonsense for a scan? I concede you "give attribution" to them in the scanned-by field. :-)
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

That's what I thought, yes: attributing them in the "scanned by" field should be enough, since it doesn't seem to be obligatory for the form to be included in the pdf, and there's no mentioning of it being mandatory for the pdf to be re-published as a whole. It says "share and adapt", not "share unaltered".
I think it works that way with most other IMSLP entries based on library scans - but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.