Corelli, Schott Edition

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Faraday
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Corelli, Schott Edition

Post by Faraday »

Hi,

I have a beautiful 2-violin version of Corelli's La Folia, which of course is PD, but the edition is Schott Mainz 1930. Is this PD - in Canada, Eu, US?

I'm a newbie, so thanks very much for your replies!

- Claudia
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Corelli, Schott Edition

Post by Carolus »

That very much depends on some different factors.

1. What are the editor's dates? If the editor died less than 50 years ago, the 1930 Schott score might be protected in Canada - making it ineligible to post at IMSLP.

2. What was the nature of the editing? Is this an 'urtext' type of edition, containing no significant original contributions from the editor? If so, the work might be OK to post even if the editor is still alive. On the other hand, if the edition has lots of slurs, articulations, and fingerings added by the editor, the work could be protected in Canada for 50 years after the editor's death, 70 years in the EU.

3. Schott was pretty consistent about complying with the notice and renewal requirements of US law, and you already stated that it bears a publication date of 1930. In the USA, there is a good change that the edition is protected until January 1, 2026.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I just saw a first page of a Schott edition for 2 violins on the internet. It gives a renewal date of 1958, and says:

"Bearbeitet und herausgeben von Hubert Léonard und Henri Marteau"

Hubert Léonard died in 1890 (if I have the right Léonard), and Henri Marteau died in 1934. Looks like the only copyright issue might be the renewal date in the US. Otherwise, could it go on the EU server?
bsteltz
imslp-eu
regular poster

Post by imslp-eu »

The EU server would be happy of hosting it... :wink: