Johann Schobert's fortepiano music

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Jabber

Johann Schobert's fortepiano music

Post by Jabber »

Hello all, new to the forums, definitely not new to the IMSLP :wink: ,
I would really, really love to have Johann Schobert's scores available to me, he should definitely be in the Public Domain. Piano music is preferred if you have it, but all of his music would be appreciated. You can e-mail me, if you have and would like to share, my e-mail address will be available if you PM me.
Thank you very much,
N.McBride.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

I'd like to second that - having recently discovered Schobert's music because I kept stumbling across it while searching catalogs and CD stores for "Schubert". :lol:

He wrote some really nice chamber music, too.

I haven't seen any sheet music yet but I'll keep my eyes open.

(Edit: Have just had a look on AbeBooks and there are a number of old scores for sale...unfortunately the prices are rather more than I can afford to spend...I would love to get a job going around all the antiquarian booksellers, scanning this sort of stuff, and uploading (hopefully soon) to the new and improved IMSLP.)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... revpage=15

Aldona
Last edited by aldona on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Oh you mean they're not the same guy? I thought Schobert was a typo for Franz Peter Schubert. Obviously Johann Schobert was somebody else.
bkbl08

Re: Johann Schobert's fortepiano music

Post by bkbl08 »

i wish i could help. ive heard one of his concertos and it was very interesting. the problem is that little is known about his life and his music is probably having the same problem but i wish you the best of luck and ill keep my eyes peeled.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

My university library has some Schobert in the Denkmaler series. Can anybody shed some light on the copyright status of this work?

The other issue is that I am seriously trying to learn how to do scanning and PDF files -- I have very little time, and already have a stack of things I would love to put on IMSLP, some of which is music the library has but it's falling apart (very old), and since it's public domain I'd rather not replace it. I don't know when I would get to Schobert, but in the meantime, maybe someone could at least tell me whether the things in the Denkmaler series are public domain.
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

There are a few works by Johann Schobert in the Sibley and Bavarian State Library collections, but only four of them at the BSB are digital (all old ones, you have to extract single tif files, then combine them as pdf....)
http://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/a ... &sortjahr=
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Did you say Sibley? Had a look, found nothing...must be scores that are yet to be digitized.

No doubt when they appear, one of us will fall upon them like a pack of hungry chihuahuas on a pork chop and immediately import them here.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
jfarrington
active poster

Post by jfarrington »

We have not digitized any of Schobert's music yet. Of what we have that is fair game, 6 are 18th Century scores/parts (well, and one of those is a libretto) that are in our Rare Books collection. I notice that a number of these contain photostat copies of some of the parts, so I'm not sure about their quality. The other is a piano quartet op.7/2, published by B&H in 1911 and edited by Hugo Reimann. All other editions are 1923 and later.
Jim
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

http://books.google.com/books?id=fXEQAAAAYAAJ

Not much, but it's something. Harvard also has the Denkmäler selected works in their depository and they are showing in their catalog a copyright of 1909, so it appears that at least this particular edition is fair game.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Our library's Denkmaler is listed on the computer as being a 1958 edition. I will have to physically go look at it to see if it is a reprint of an earlier edition. I will try to get to that in the next week.
bsteltz
jfarrington
active poster

Post by jfarrington »

Here is the description of the denkmaler in question:

Ausgewählte Werke / Johann Schobert ; herausgegeben von Hugo Riemann.
Edition: In Neuaufl. / herausgegeben und kritisch revidiert von Hans Joachim Moser.
Imprint: Wiesbaden : Breitkopf & Härtel ; [New York : sole distributors for the Americas: International Music Institute,] 1958.
Description: 1 score (xxvi, 177 p.) ; 34 cm.
Series: Denkmäler deutscher Tonkunst. 1. Folge (1957) ; Bd. 39.
Notes: D.D.T.XXXIX Breitkopf & Härtel
"Verzeichnis der Werke Johann Schoberts. Ausgaben der Werke nach Opuszahlen geordnet": p. [xvii]-xx.
"Thematischer Katalog": p. [xxi]-xxii.
Other Author(s): Riemann, Hugo, 1849-1919.
Moser, Hans Joachim, 1889-1967.
Jim
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Here's the item in Harvard's HOLLIS:

Author : Schobert, Johann, d. 1767.
Title : Instrumental music. Selections
Title : Ausgewählte Werke. Hrsg. von Hugo Riemann.
Published : Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel, 1909.
Location : Loeb Music Harvard Depository Mus 405.4.5 (39) [Consult circ. desk for ML125W] Library Info
Music Pub. No. : D.D.T. XXXIX. Breitkopf & Härtel
Description : xxii p., score (177 p.) 36 cm.
Series : Denkmäler deutscher Tonkunst. 1 Folge, Bd. 39
Contents : 1. Sonate B Dur, op. 2, I (Paris) für Klavier und Violine.--2. Sonate B Dur, op. 14, II (Paris) bezw. op. 4, II (Amsterdam) für Klavier und Violine.--3. Sonate c Moll, op. 14, III (Paris) bezw. op. 4, III (Amsterdam) für Klavier und Violine.--4. Sonate d Moll, op. 14, IV (Paris) bezw. op. 4, IV (Amsterdam) für Klavier und Violine.--5. Sonate A Dur, op. 14, V (Paris) bezw. op. 4, V (Amsterdam) für Klavier und Violine.--6. Trio B Dur, op. 16, I (Hummel op. 3, I) für Klavier, Violine und Violoncello.--7. Trio F Dur, op. 16, IV (Hummel op. 3, IV) für Klavier, Violine und Violoncello.--8. Quatuor Es Dur, op. 14, I (Hummel op. 4, I) für Klavier, 2 Violinen und Violoncello.--9. Quatuor Es Dur, op. 7, I (Hummel op. 2, I) für Klavier, 2 Violinen und Violoncello.--10. Klavierkonzert II (Es Dur, op. 12) mit Streichorchester, 2 Flöten (Oboen) und 2 Hörnern.
Notes : "Verzeichnis der Werke Johann Schoberts. Ausgaben der Werke nach Opuszahlen geordnet": p. [xvii]-xx.
"Thematischer Katalog": p. [xxi]-xxii.
11. Klavierkonzert V (G Dur, op. 19?) mit Streichorchester, 2 Flöten (Oboen) und 2 Hörnern.--12. Ein Sonderbares musikalisches Stück (Kanon)
Pl. no.: D.D.T. XXXIX.

It looks like the same item, but since it is in the Depository I can't physically inspect it to see why there is a different date listed.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The 1958 edition lists Hans Moser as an editor. He died in 1967. If I understand the copyright law correctly, this would only be public domain if it was an urtext, in other words, Moser's contribution didn't add anything original. If it did, it is protected till 1 Jan 2018? Do I have this right?
bsteltz