Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf parts

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf parts

Post by steltz »

Although we have a set of parts, it is a typeset. This typeset contains many mistakes, at least in the clarinet part, with wrong articulations, wrong notes and at least one missing bar. If anyone has the original parts, and can scan and upload, it would be greatly appreciated. If all the parts are like this one, it will be very difficult to rehearse.
bsteltz
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf parts

Post by homerdundas »

Hi, I have the Kalmus edition. I will try to scan the parts over the next while and upload them. I'll do the clarinet first. When do you need it?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks! It's not urgent, I have a student working on excerpts for an exam. He is working from the typeset, and if nothing else, the "cat up the tree" at least has correct notes (so he can land on the right branch :lol: ). I would like him to have the real part though. In the next few weeks should do nicely, if you can. Thanks again.
bsteltz
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

steltz wrote:Although we have a set of parts, it is a typeset. This typeset contains many mistakes, at least in the clarinet part, with wrong articulations, wrong notes and at least one missing bar.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Peter_and_the_Wol ... _Sergey%29
Isn't there any way to provide this typesettist with the list of mistakes on his talk page? I'm not sure he will notice your Misc. Note! Each imslp user is a potential proofreader. :-)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I probably should, it was just such a long list, and I don't have time to do any of the other parts. I'm more inclined to think that once the original parts are uploaded, the bad edition can be removed, though I realize we said we would notify editors first and give them a chance to fix things. Perhaps after my next exam period is over, I will compile the list for the clarinet part and ask him to do the proofreading on all the others.
bsteltz
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I have a complete set of string parts that I could upload, but however it may not be till this weekend. I have access to a few music libraries, that have this in their holdings. I know one is a Boosey and Hawkes edition, and the other is Kalmus.

MK49
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thank you for that. I have in the meantime, sourced a scan of the original clarinet and flute part. The clarinet part at least has black blotches on it where tears in the page were taped over, so it still isn't ideal, but I might upload it if a cleaner part can't be found right away. It at least would be better than what's there.
bsteltz
homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by homerdundas »

Hi - I am busy scanning the Kalmus - I have started with the winds. Kalmus edition is a print from copyist's manuscript, and I already see a few typos. I will try to correct these before I upload. It seems we all need a better edition of this!
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I have the string parts scanned and pdf'd but imslp is down due to connection issues with the server... or agreements with their company they go through etc.. but I will have them uploaded as soon as I hear word. They are the Boosey and Hawkes edition.

mk.49
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thank you so much to both of you!
bsteltz
musicnerd
regular poster

Post by musicnerd »

The original has over 6 pages of errata, so alternatively there is Edition Zeza's new revision of Peter and the Wolf, http://www.sheetmusicx.com/products/Pro ... estra.html
cellosurf

Post by cellosurf »

The cello part is also full of errors. If the parts could be uploaded in Finale or xml format the users could correct them and repost the corrected versions. As it is these parts are quite "dangerous" because they all need checking and correcting.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Since this has gone off topic from a score request to a quality issue, I am going to request, in a different forum, that we consider removing the version with so many mistakes. We have the originals now, so I don't see any reason why we have to keep the bad set. I'm not sure it will actually be removed, but we have a good set now . . .
bsteltz