Robert Kahn Chamber Music

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Sadrobotsings
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Robert Kahn Chamber Music

Post by Sadrobotsings »

Hey gang, IMSLP has a great deal of Robert Kahn's chamber music, and I'm working on rounding up the rest of it. I'm working on the purely instrumental stuff first, there are still quite a lot of lieder out there. Here are the pieces I'm having trouble getting my hands on:

2 Violinstücke mit Klavier, Op. 4
Drei Stücke für Violoncell und Pianoforte Op. 25
Zweite Sonate (A moll) für Violine und Clavier, Op. 26
5 Tonbilder, for Violine und Klavier, Op. 36
Cello Sonata Op.37 (p.1903)
"Abendlied" for voice, violin, and piano, Op. 68
Suite in D minor for Violin and Piano, Op. 69
Klaviertrio Nr. 5 in e-Moll, Op. 72
Sadrobotsings
regular poster

Re: Robert Kahn Chamber Music

Post by Sadrobotsings »

Just a few things that might be helpful, the following pieces seem to only exist in one library worldwide:

Zwei Violinstücke mit Begleitung des Pianoforte. Op. 4.: British Library Reference Collections
Klaviertrio Nr. 5 in e-Moll, Op. 72: Zürcher Hochschule der Künste (they do not do interlibrary loans.)
5 Tonbilder, for Violine und Klavier, Op. 36: Netherlands Music Institute
Cello Sonata Op.37 (p.1903): University of Stellenbosch Music Library (South Africa)
"Abendlied" for voice, violin, and piano, Op. 68 :Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Bremen

The Op. 26 Violin sonata I might be able to get from NYPL, but the Suite in D minor for Violin and Piano, Op. 69 doesn't seem to be anywhere, excerpt for a list of works on the Boosey & Hawkes website...
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

All of the works you are looking for are at Berlin SBB (D-B) in their online scanned card catalog: You can move back and forward from here:
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy

Unfortunately, about 2 years ago they started to enforce EU copyright very rigidly, so no copying or scanning allowed,
unless you have permission from the publisher or the estate of the composer (died in 1951, so until 01-01-2022).
Most of Robert Kahn's works have not even been entered into the GEMA database, they are true orphans: out of print, for many works the publisher is out of business, but they are in copyright limbo - I just hope they don't disintegrate and are lost forever before the 2022 deadline.

Maybe you could appeal to Dr.Martina Rebmann, the head of the Musikabteilung for special consideration: musikabt@sbb.spk-berlin.de (an email in english should be fine).
Sadrobotsings
regular poster

Post by Sadrobotsings »

Wow, thanks for this! I had a feeling I hadn't looked everywhere. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time looking through this, I can't imagine what else I'll find. They seem to have the complete works and arrangements of Max Laurischkus as well, it took me weeks just to turn up a partial list of works. (And all of those are PD in the EU.)

I'd be totally game to write Dr. Rebmann an e-mail, I've got nothing to lose really.

Also, I can't really tell what this is supposed to be, but the first thing under Kahn's name appears to be titled "the kittens".
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 493&css=11
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

The Library of Congress has (according to their library catalog, which may not be entirely accurate- e.g. it may list some works they may have lost, I don't know) a few works too- including the 2nd violin sonata Op.26 (in their "old catalog", which is not, erm, webcrawled by Worldcat, which is why a Worldcat search would not have turned this up. It's often worth searching some catalogs, e.g. LoC and a few others, separately for many reasons, this among them...) - for all I know it might be worth contacting them? (They also have or may have Op.53 (original version), Mahomets Gesang, "Zwischen sommer und herbst, Op. 67" and some works already in our collection. None digitized that I know of, since they were published after 1885.)
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

The Kahn piece linked to by Sadrobotsings seems to be a 3-page work for men's chorus entitled "The Kitten" (singular).