Martinu Quartet

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Martinu Quartet

Post by steltz »

Since Martinu is now PD in Canada, any chance someone has the Quartet for clarinet, french horn, cello, and side drum? Thanks.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Re: Martinu Quartet

Post by Eric »

It was composed, it seems, in 1924; I see one publication ("Kvartet pro klarinet, lesní roh, violoncello a malý bubínek") by Panton in 1975. Hopefully it was first published before then, otherwise the work itself isn't PD-CA yet...

Then again, if we can find the manuscript somewhere (and establish that it was performed sometime before 1965?...) - ... hrm. Don't know.
It was recorded in 2008, anyway- sound samples http://dev.supraphon.cz/cs/novinky/arch ... 1?item=770 <-- here. (Tracks under "5", 1-3. Allegro moderato, Poco andante, Allegretto (ma non troppo).)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

In relation to which, just noticed the announced, upcoming performance (of the clarinet/percussion/&c quartet) April 16th in Berlin. Don't know if performances of this work are unusual or if anyone associated with that reads this forum, but hope that goes well.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

btw-
those who'd like to hear this work can do so @ Cesky Rozhlas D-dur at 7:55am Eastern time (13:55 CET?) tomorrow morning (and I think later tomorrow too) in a studio broadcast (not sure when it was made, just says
"Bohuslav Martinů: Kvartet pro klarinet, lesní roh, violoncello a malý bubínek C dur H 139
Allegro moderato Poco andante Allegretto ma non troppo
Hrají Wenzel Fuchs (klarinet), Radek Baborák (lesní roh) a Baborák Ensemble. Vyrobeno v ČR."
= http://www.rozhlas.cz/d-dur/program/#/2015-06-05 (station streams live if your computer has the right (not rare) plugins.)

Hrmmm... same performers as on the Supraphon CD from 2009, and Vyrobeno v ČR might just mean made in the Czech Republic rather than Made for Cesky Rozhlas,(or maybe both; some CDs on record labels of all kinds were first made with the help of, and at, radio station studios, I know...) Anyhow, might be from the CD but it is being broadcast tomorrow (I'm now intrigued enough as something of a Martinu fan to try to catch it. Though the work may be on YouTube anyway, probably is. :) )
Cheers!!