Sorcerer - Sullivan - orchestral parts

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Spansoft
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sorcerer - Sullivan - orchestral parts

Post by Spansoft »

I have PDFs of all the orchestral parts for The Sorcerer by Arthur Sullivan. I am fairly computer literate but I am struggling to know how best to make these available. They are clearly out of copyright, handwritten. Confirmation that they are indeed out of copyright would be good, plus how to make them available. I have read the (brief) instructions on how to add to a page and upload and will read them again and "have a go" if that is what is required.

Thanks
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Sorcerer - Sullivan - orchestral parts

Post by Carolus »

Assuming this is the original and not a new arrangement or edition made by someone who died less than 50 years ago, the parts for this work are absolutely out of copyright - worldwide - and there is no problem submitting manuscript parts either. (You'll note that some of the other G & S parts are manuscript). You can upload up to 20 files at a time too. The things to keep in mind are:

1. File size. We have a limit of 150MB at a time, so if your manuscript scans are large in size, you might consider consulting some of the other threads and experts here about how to make them smaller. The 150MB applies to the sum of the files uploaded at one time. If 3 files = 150MB that's all you'll be able to do. Files for manuscripts can be really huge, especially if in color. The set I uploaded for Pugni's ballet Esmeralda took a couple of hours - this after the many hours spent splitting up the gargantuan file (described as a 2000-page "violin repetiteur") at archive.org.

2. Parts nomenclature and order. You should follow what has been done on the other G & S pages. They should go in score order and if they're in the French-style of many G & S parts, two parts occupy the same system (even if there are separate staves). We try to notate this as Cornet 1/2, while a single file containing 2 separate parts is shown as Cornet 1, 2.
Contratrombone64
active poster

Post by Contratrombone64 »

Very excited to see this thread, one of Sullivan's masterpieces of orchestration, imho.

Any idea when the files will be uploaded?
DLHardie

Post by DLHardie »

Is there anything that I can do to assist?

Either reply here or davidlhardie@bigpond.com

D.
Contratrombone64
active poster

Post by Contratrombone64 »

just wondering if this was sorted, I note the band parts are still missing