Sibelius, J., Kullervo, Op. 7.

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

isozvaillancourt
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sibelius, J., Kullervo, Op. 7.

Post by isozvaillancourt »

On January 21, 2011 daphnis wrote: It was first published in the orchestral form in 1961, which means it is copyright everywhere, and hence why I did not upload it in my Sibelius complete works project. (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3212&p=23212#p23213). my emphasis.

This was absolutely true until 2012 since the Canadian Copyright Act stipulates that: (1) Subject to subsection (2), in the case of a literary, dramatic or musical work, or an engraving, in which copyright subsists at the date of the death of the author or, in the case of a work of joint authorship, at or immediately before the date of the death of the author who dies last, but which has not been published or, in the case of a lecture or a dramatic or musical work, been performed in public or communicated to the public by telecommunication, before that date, copyright shall subsist until publication, or performance in public or communication to the public by telecommunication, whichever may first happen, for the remainder of the calendar year of the publication or of the performance in public or communication to the public by telecommunication, as the case may be, and for a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year. (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... umous#s-7.). my emphasis.

Given that it is now in the Canadian public domain, it would be tremendous to add it to the library.

Kindly,
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Sibelius, J., Kullervo, Op. 7.

Post by Sallen112 »

Yes that piece is definitely eligible now.

Keep in mind for Canadian Copyright, it is 50 years after date of publication, public (or private) performance, broadcast or "Delivery". Anything published before currently 1964 (although this is turning to 1965 in January) is eligible in the Public Domain in Canada.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

As Sallen112 said, it is definitely eligible. The problem is the score is quite hefty in size (at 457 pages large), so it'd be quite a bit of work.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

AFAIK, the editors, especially of the more recent (urtext in the informal, not the uninformed legal, sense) version I read, had to do a really substantial amount of work to make this thing even so much as legible- the last two movements were a damned MESS, among other issues on top of issues with the autograph scores of the work. Could we get off our horsies and let them make a few pennies off of it?