Rimsky-Korsakov's "Servilia" -- p-v score -- advice

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Rimsky-Korsakov's "Servilia" -- p-v score -- advice

Post by Lyle Neff »

This is not a request for a score, but a request for how best to supply a score.

As of today I noticed that the piano-vocal score of Rimsky-Korsakov's opera "Servilia" has not yet been uploaded to IMSLP (except for Servilia's aria).

I own a copy of the hard-bound Soviet edition of the p-v score, as well as the Kalmus reprint. The hard-bound edition is a bit more fragile and yellowed, of course.

Assuming that no one else currently is scanning this p-v score to upload to IMSLP, which of these two prints should I scan? I assume that I should omit the editorial prefaces from the scans.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Rimsky-Korsakov's "Servilia" -- p-v score -- advice

Post by Sallen112 »

If you want you could send them to me to scan it for free! I have a great big scanner (can scan up to 600 dpi), I just bought recently that I can do large format scanning. If you live in the USA, you could send them to me via media mail. I can PM you my address.

As for which one to put up, having both prints would be nice to have!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

As you can see from the considerable number of things he's added, Sam definitely knows his way around a scanner. I've sent him things from my own collection, and things arrive back in good shape. Those older Soviet prints often have very acidic and brittle paper, so great care must be taken.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I can scan either of the prints myself using scanning machines available to the public in the library where I work (i.e., during my breaks, of course, especially on days when it's raining/snowing or too cold outside).

I just want to know which print I should spend the time scanning.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

The original would be the most valuable, rather than the Kalmus one.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello, everyone,

Sorry it has taken so long, but I finally have managed to scan an exemplar of the original Russian/German 1901 piano-vocal score of "Servilia."

It's not in a single PDF yet, nor even in logical chunks (e.g., act by act); I will need to combine the segments. I also alternately scanned the front and back covers in color for a separate PDF.

Most of the images have shadows on the sides. Is there a way to edit those blotches out in Adobe Acrobat without first exporting each page as an image file and then re-combining the images back into a PDF?

Or should I just upload the full PDF as it will be without such editing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(See the attached image for what a typical page looks like from my scanning of this score,)
p201-251_Page_04.png
p201-251_Page_04.png (147.58 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Use the Redact tool to remove the black artifact gutter in Adobe.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Sallen112 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:43 am Use the Redact tool to remove the black artifact gutter in Adobe.
That function in Acrobat seems simply to replace "redacted" portions with black rectangles.

I've uploaded the entire piano-vocal score to IMSLP as scanned, without removing the blotches first.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Did you go to properties in the Redact tool on Adobe? You have to right click on the box go to properties or on top under Redact Text & Images and change the color, its probably black color on default.