Jacob Obrecht (1457-1505) "Missa Caput" for 6 voic

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Gnossienne
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Jacob Obrecht (1457-1505) "Missa Caput" for 6 voic

Post by Gnossienne »

G'day.
I can't seem to find anything by Jacob Obrecht at all on IMSLP (including in the "wanted" section). I own a copy of the score of the aforementioned beautiful mass by this Flemish master, and I am of course willing to share this - but I'm not sure whether it's okay for me to scan and upload this particular score - it's from Editio Musica Budapest Z-7441 / Edition Eulenburg GmbH, Zürich - Eulenburg Octavo Edition 10099 ( it says (c) 1974 on the first page).
:?:
Thank you for advising.
Dja

Post by Dja »

Hi,
You can upload this because IMSLP runs on Canadian copyright laws (composer becomes public domain 50 years after death). It will also be PD in Europe, Russia, and all other countries. Because this work was published after 1923, it is not PD in the USA. But you can still upload it because the work is PD in Canada.

You can read about when works are public domain in IMSLP: www.imslp.org/wiki/Public_Domain
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

Unfortunately the previous poster's comment isn't a complete summary of the issues!

The work of Obrecht is definitely public domain by now, however, in being transcribed from Renaissance white mensural notation into modern notation, the modern score is almost certain to include the work of an editor to some non-trivial extent, which may permissibly be protected by copyright. The process of transcription may result in the use of modern clefs, time and key signatures, transposition to a usable performing pitch, regular barring, more readable note values (typically shorter than used in the Renaissance), etc.

Other examples: a vocal score of a Renaissance work may for modern rehearsal purposes include a keyboard reduction; an editor occasionally has to complete a score by adding text or music, particularly in mass settings as some of the traditional texts such as the Kyrie were often freely left to the singer to underlay the syllables to the music.

I would suggest this edition is not suitable for uploading to IMSLP without consideration of the editor's rights in the country of origin.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)