General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Leea25
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sibley uploads

Post by Leea25 »

Hi there,

I thought I'd be helpful and upload a few missing works from Sibley to IMSLP. This is the rather unhelpful text that is on the Sibley mirroring page:

Participating in this project is, in fact, much easier than actually submitting scores via the traditional method: you do not have to upload anything, and most of the information is already filled out for you.

Participation is strongly encouraged for both new and seasoned users. Simply find a Sibley score not submitted to IMSLP (should be plenty) and submit it via the special link to the correct IMSLP work page. The main page for Sibley's collection is here

Forgive me, but this is far from self-explanitory! Even having looked in the manual, I'm not entirely sure what a work page is and I can't find any "upload from Sibley" links anywhere. Are the special links on the Sibley pages, if so where, or on IMSLP? Please, if you want the 'uninitiated' to help out, perhaps you could provide some better instructions, rather than assuming knowledge.

Many thanks,
Lee
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Sibley uploads

Post by vinteuil »

A work page is a page, similar to a wikipedia article, that contains scores for a particular piece. The link is found right before "recordings" on a given page. Sorry if there is any confusion!
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Would it be possible to move the Sibley upload choice to a separate line? Currently it looks like this on a work page:
  • Add a file to this page (Upload from Sibley)
    Add multiple files to this page
The first line looks confusing, because the parenthetical phrase might be interpreted as an explanation rather than a separate option.

Perhaps something like this would clarify things:
  • Add a single file to this page
    (1) Upload a file to this page from your computer
    (2) Sideload a file to this page from the Sibley Music Library

Add multiple files to this page from your computer
(I'm using the word "Sideload" because isn't what's going on a transfer from one web site to another? Maybe "Crossload" would be better?)
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Why do we need the single file upload form at all? You can also upload a single file with the multi-file form, can't you?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:Why do we need the single file upload form at all? You can also upload a single file with the multi-file form, can't you?
The one disadvantage I can think of is that the multiple file form has multiple parallel boxes in three groups (file name, file information, no. of pages); and therefore a person could easily get lost and place information in non-corresponding boxes. (At least I could... :lol: )
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Leea25

Post by Leea25 »

Hello there,

Many thanks for your replies. However, I'm sorry to say I still can't see an 'upload from Sibley' link anywhere - I have just created this page for Deshevov in order to upload the two works of his on Sibley and would appreciate some advice.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Deshevov ... khailovich

Many thanks,
Lee
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Just use the "Add a piece to this composer page" as usual to create a work page for the work you wish to transfer from Sibley. When you're done, you'll find the link on the work page that you have created.
Leea25

Post by Leea25 »

Many thanks I'll give it a try!

Lee