Mahler 2, 3, 4

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

goombaruskirusky
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Mahler 2, 3, 4

Post by goombaruskirusky »

Would it be possible to have Mahler's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Symphonies?
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Mahler 2, 3, 4

Post by Lyle Neff »

They belong to Mahler. You'll have to ask him.

:D
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

It is sad that IMSLP does not have those full scores. They are essential for the collection.

On the other hand, I have the full score of the Second Symphony, I'll see what I can do.

The Dover edition is PD, right?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Yes.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
goombaruskirusky
regular poster

Post by goombaruskirusky »

Oh, that'd be wonderful.

Your quote about Bruckner...are there really that many people who agree? This is the first time I'm hearing about distaste for Bruckner.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I think so. Bruckner's music doesn't lead anywhere, it is just one Wagnerian melody after another (ex. last movement of Symphony No. 7).
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Yeah.
It's interesting, his tempos are aweful. 1 of No. 4 works really well REALLY slowly or REALLY fast.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I got an interesting insight once, from a discussion with an non-musician audience member who couldn't believe that a lot of orchestral musicians echo the sentiments expressed above by perlnerd and allegroamabile. The way he described Bruckner (okay, he was an architect) made me see what people find exceptional in the music -- and it is very architectural. But as I said in another thread, I think he and other concert-goers only hear a Bruckner symphony live every few years or so, so it doesn't tire.

And, as I said in the other thread, I think this is music that can be stunningly effective the first time. So much so, that at one point I was doing a survey. I asked musicians what their favorite Bruckner symphony was. Second question was what the first one they ever played was.

Invariably, the answer was one and the same for both questions. For instance, if I had to choose, I would choose the 9th. But it was also the first one I ever played.

Some people answered the 4th, or others, but it was always the first one they ever played.
bsteltz
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

goombaruskirusky wrote:Your quote about Bruckner...are there really that many people who agree? This is the first time I'm hearing about distaste for Bruckner.
Yes, his symphonies are all essentially the same. There are no catchy melodies, as with at least one symphony of every other composers' repertoire. Practically all of them begin and end the same. It annoys me to no end, as to why so many people enjoy him. I do admit, I enjoy the third (second?) movement of his 4th symphony, but that's one movement out of 36 total.
dwil9798
active poster

Post by dwil9798 »

Bruckner's harmonies were extremely modern, even compared to some of Wagner's works. This makes him extremely important in the development of 20th Century music. His idea of turning a theme upside-down was way ahead of its time, as well. I can see why Bruckner has detractors, though. More than once I have wanted the climax of the first movement of the Seventh Symphony to explode into B Major, but, alas every time it turns into a folk dance in B Minor. But, for me, that's what makes his music so interesting and fun to listen to.

Also, I agree he might not have as many catchy tunes as Beethoven, Mozart, or Tchaikovsky, but IMO he has more than Mahler. :)
jonifoni

Post by jonifoni »

I'm surprised that IMSLP doesn't have complete Mahler Symphonies...

Couldn't someone just scan their dover score?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Would it be possible to have Mahler's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Symphonies?
Yes, it would. While I'll be contributing the remaining critical edition scores, they won't be public domain in the US. Anyone is free to upload the Dover reprints, and speaking of...
Couldn't someone just scan their dover score?
Sure they could. Would you like to get the ball rolling on the remaining thousand-odd pages?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

dwil9798 wrote:Bruckner's [...] idea of turning a theme upside-down was way ahead of its time, [...]
Bruckner invented inversion?

:shock:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Guys, this thread is already off topic. Please open a new thread if you want to discuss Bruckner. Yagan, please monitor for things like this.
lord_x

Post by lord_x »

I think smth must be done about this: to have all Mahler's symphonies up on IMSLP. Think of it: yes, it might be a colossal work to do this, but then again there will no be more " I want Mahler's x symphony" threads. There's smth going on about Mahler, hmm...
If life gave you lemons, you make lemonade. Then find someone whose life gave them vodka and throw a party.