Beethoven Symphonies

Moderator: kcleung

Which Beethoven Symphony is the absolute best?

Symphony No. 6 in F Major
27%
Symphony No. 7 in A Major
40%
Symphony No. 9 in D Minor
33%

Total votes: 15

goombaruskirusky
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Beethoven Symphonies

Post by goombaruskirusky »

beethoven symphonies
Dog Sniper

Weird poll

Post by Dog Sniper »

Why not make a poll with all of the Beethoven symphonies as options? Or, at least, a poll that includes two of Beethoven's most significant symphonies, the Third and Fifth?

Anyway, I answered 'Ninth Symphony'; it's my favorite of all the symphonies, and I believe it to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

My favorites are probably 1 and 5, but I'm a big fan of 6, too, so that's what I voted for. Poor 7 doesn't have any votes right now, though!
Dog Sniper

Beethoven's Symphonies

Post by Dog Sniper »

For a time, Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 was also my favorite, after I had been introduced to it through the film Soylent Green. When I first heard Beethoven's Ninth, I was a bit skeptical of its greatness, and indeed struggled to like it much as music; however, I discovered greater appreciation for it when I learned more about the story of its composition, and about the general meaning of the "Ode to Joy" piece.
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

Fifth is the greatest. Then Third. Then Ninth. Then Seventh. Then Eighth. Then Sixth. Then First. Then Second. Then Fourth. Any questions? How about the piano sonatas? :)
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

The Fifth Symphony is my favourite. Especially the transition from the 3rd to the beginning of the 4th movement. It causes the hair to stand up on the back of my neck, every time - what a glorious profusion of sound.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

One or two is my favourite can't choose.
two of Beethoven's most significant symphonies, the Third and Fifth?
The melody (which is just the outline of a chord... how original...) is a melody from Mozart's overture of Bastien & Bastienne. When ever I hear it I can't help thinking of the Shepherds theme from the 5th.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

I think the 9th is the best overall, however i haven't heard all of them and i've only really listned to 5 and 9. I really like the first 3 movts. of the 9th, but when it comes to the last, i just don't really get it, i think the vocal parts are too dominating when they come in, and i don't really like the music anyway. I think this kind of sums up my opinion of beethoven: fantasticly amazingly brilliant at times, indifferent at other times.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

fantasticly amazingly brilliant at times, indifferent at other times.
...how many time have I heard that. Half my lecturers have said that. Can't agree more. But for me, I don't like... most of his quartets.

Then there is Schoenberg... first dozen pieces are good, the rest are historical. :p
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

I agree about the ninth. The Scherzo is its best feature, while the last movement is impossibly vulgar. The first movement is OK, but nothing to its counterparts in the fifth and third. The third symphony is similarly made by it's funeral march, and I'm likewise not sold on the last movement. The fifth symphony, in my opinion is the most consistently excellent. Truly inspired moments such as in the recap of the first movement and the breathtaking transition to the finale make it a masterpiece. I also really like the eighth, everyone should study it because there are some wonderful details that often go overlooked!
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

ArcticWind7 wrote:Then there is Schoenberg... first dozen pieces are good, the rest are historical. :p
That's reminded me of a quote i heard, not from schoenberg but from someone around then, which said (can't remember exact words) that a composer should never use more than 2 consecutive notes moving by step or the listner will connect them and make meaning out of them!

Please don't get me started on schoenberg et al. (too late for that now) i think that is the ONLY kind of music i can acually get nothing out of at all.

Anyway, i'll stop.
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

I like Schoenberg. I don't listen to the atonal stuff for pleasure. The early stuff is quite nice, sometimes over the top (Gurre-Lieder). But is piano pieces (especially the Suite) and concertos are excellent. By far my favorite composer of the 2nd viennese is Berg. The Lyric Suite is the most wonderful atonal composition I know.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

I don't mind atonal music (i acually think it frees up the composer to do a lot more than within traditional rules) what i don't like is the lack of meaning when making actual music (as opposed to a collection of notes) either gets forgotten or just fails. Anyway back on topic:
goldberg988 wrote:I agree about the ninth. The Scherzo is its best feature, while the last movement is impossibly vulgar. The first movement is OK, but nothing to its counterparts in the fifth and third.
I think that the 1st movt. of the 9 is it's best, i like the way themes are put together out of really almost nothing, yet still manages to remain interesting for it's entire 10-15? mins, but then that's just my opinion.

Anyway, this has got my interest and im going to go find a recording of as many beethoven symphonies as i can.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Please don't get me started on schoenberg et al. (too late for that now) i think that is the ONLY kind of music i can acually get nothing out of at all.
Possibly because tonal music is actually natural for our ears.

[q](i acually think it frees up the composer to do a lot more than within traditional rules)[/q]IMHO it limits it more for it has very limited expression.
It is impossible to have a 'memorable' melody for our brain is designed for tonal music.
Traditional rules often rely on tonal harmony for them to stay stable and a "rule" (and even then they are guidelines).

The only atonal music I actually like is effects type music (...well.... orchestration effects) I love Threnody by Penderecki.
Exen

Post by Exen »

I chose the 9th simply because I love every little detail of it, it fits so well with my nature. Its all rocking out in the finale. Man what a blast, love every section of it.