Mahler 7

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

kongming819
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Mahler 7

Post by kongming819 »

Can anyone explain to me why Mahler's 7th Symphony is currently under TB status? http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.7_%28 ... _Gustav%29

From what I've seen from other posts in this forum, it seems like the only reason why something published way before 1920 (in this case, 1909) to be under copyright is if the composer made an arrangement or a completely new edition, but it seems that this is just a corrected reprint from the 1960s. Or, does a corrected reprint count as different enough from the original to earn a new copyright status?
kongming819
active poster

And Mahler 2

Post by kongming819 »

For the record, I have found that the same applies to Mahler's 2nd symphony as well!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Mahler 7

Post by daphnis »

Both of these are from the critical edition set, which do constitute enough original contribution for new copyright protection. However, this is only the case in the US and not so in either Canada or the EU. Because of that, they are unfortunately blocked presently.
kongming819
active poster

Re: Mahler 7

Post by kongming819 »

CURSES!!! DAMNED COPYRIGHT LAWS!!!

Oh well... thanks for the info, though! Now I can rest more easily... somewhat... no not really...