Call for Pianists

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Call for Pianists

Post by Yagan Kiely »

This is a call for pianists and other musicians of any discipline (Classical, Jazz etc.) t o perform and record a selection of small pieces originally for solo piano.

The Set of Bagatelles are small piano pieces grouped into volumes of forty (when applicable); updated when new bagatelles are created. I encourage as many performers as possible to perform this piece as often as possible. Each performer may select any bagatelle from any volume and these selections can be in any order the performers wishes. I ask that the selections be, in total, no longer than thirty minutes in length, and no less than ten; a length between eighteen and twenty-four minutes is recommended. If the performer wishes to perform less than ten minutes of selected Bagatelles, I ask that it not be performed publicly.

Scores of the Bagatelles will initially be only found on my Petrucci Music Library composer page (http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Kiely,_Yagan_M). Eventually I plan to allow for completed volumes to be purchased in book-form from a print-on-demand service.

I encourage extremely creative and imaginative interpretations of the Bagatelles, however fanciful. That said, I ask that the notes and rests, etc. be relatively adhered to, i.e. not to change the harmony or melody. The tempo marking are also rather flexible.

The performers do not need permission for any type of performance, commercial or otherwise (as per Creative Commons Licence) but attribution to me must be made. I ask and strongly encourage that performers record their performance/s. The recording quality is of no great significance, be it a recording made by mobile phone or a professional recording, as long as it is audible. I ask that the recording by somehow emailed to me at contact (a) yagankiely . com through an attachment, link or otherwise. Given that the compositions are licensed under a Creative Commons By Attribution, Share-Alike licence, the recording will have to be licensed under the same license (unless alternative arrangements are made1).

I will upload the performers’ Creative Commons licensed recordings to my own site (http://yagankiely.com) to be share and listened to with full attribution provided to respective performers.

If a performer wants to purchase a specific, personalised arrangement or orchestration of a (or a set of) bagatelle/s, he or she can contact me on the above email address to further discuss it.

With best regards,
Yagan Kiely

bagatelles.yagankiely.com

PDF of Letter
allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Call for Pianists

Post by allegroamabile »

I would perform them if I had the capability of playing the piano well. Are you excited over their quality?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

TBPH, I don't mind either way. I just want to get some metaphorical ball rolling.
mignonette

Post by mignonette »

When will be the deadline?

I'm interested..

hehehe
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

There is and never will be a deadline!
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

I'm interested. I just read through the Bagatelles and they are very interesting, sometimes playful and sometimes sarcastic little pieces, remind me of Shostakovich's Preludes a bit.

I'm not that familiar with Creative Commons and just wanted to make sure that public performance with attribution is also OK with you. If I learn the pieces I would want to be able to perform them as well and hope this is a positive thing for you as the composer! If so, I'd be happy to learn them and create a recording.

Heather Reichgott
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

checking again about permission to perform Bagatelles with attribution....
Heather Reichgott
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You will always get attributed.

You can either:

Allow commercial use or not.
Allow modifications of the recording (mixes etc.) or not.

If you are worried at all, I suggest going with the most strict license: BY-NC-ND
BY = By attribution (standard on all licenses)
NC = Non-Commercial
ND = No derivatives.

And, great to hear and thankyou!

Email anything else (best way to get in contact with me): contact at yagankiely dot com