[BUG] Some signs not allowed in PDF files?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Josef
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

[BUG] Some signs not allowed in PDF files?

Post by Josef »

Hi,

I've successfully uploaded the file JI_Vorspiel_21+perc.pdf on this workpage but the server can't find it. It shows the naming "JI Vorspiel 21 perc.pdf" instead.

(It's a re-upload that overwrote the original file with the same name. I didn't check if the file was downloadable after the first upload a few days ago, but I guess that shouldn't make any difference anyway.)

Is the "+" in the way?
Have I missed a comment on that in the Contributor Portal?

Josef
imslp2

Post by imslp2 »

This is another manifestation of the infamous (and longstanding) Apache mod_rewrite bug, which breaks titles that contain ampersand (&), plus sign, and/or hash (#) sign. I've already put fixing this on high priority, but unfortunately it is one of the hardest things to fix (even though seemingly simple).

The simple (and dirty) short-term solution is to resubmit the file with none of the offending characters. However, even if you do not do this, I will try to fix this bug as soon as possible. Though in that case I cannot as of yet promise a definite date when it will be fixed (but yes it will; it *has* to be fixed at some point).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

imslp2? Is that a "test" account?
Josef
regular poster

Post by Josef »

Understood. I will wait then. I've already discovered some more files with such signs.

Thanks for the hard work!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually, those files work now after the move away from Apache during the maintenance :) So I'm closing this bug.