[FEAT] Setting up a DC++ hub

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Funper
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

[FEAT] Setting up a DC++ hub

Post by Funper »

this is something that have been brough up before in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=527

a DC++ hub could be used for sharing score collections inbetween users, e.g. where someone has a score but isn't able to submit it on IMSLP because either lack of copyright knowledge (don't know if its pd, or think it awfully complicated finding out) or time. an already hub for score sharing is existing available (sometimes with downtime), maybe we should link their hub here through some kind of collaboration? or we could set up our own instead...

For those of you not familiar with DC (copied out from the previous thread):
Basicly, DC++ works like this: users have the option to share files, these files will be listed in a so called "filelists" which are available for everyone in the hub to view. from the filelist one can choose which files to download. there is also an option to search the whole hub (the filelists of all users in a particular hub) for scores that are shared.

the client is available on http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
an example of an already existing hub for scores is sheetmusic.serveftp.net:412 of coarse scores could be found in many other hubs, but this seems to be the only hub specialized for scores.
Any thoughts?
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

HALLÅ!!!! Anybody who understands the advantage of a DC++ hub? No suggestions? Anything?
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

1. How will you manage the access to the collection?
2. What about copyright violation?
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

I am not sure what you mean with no. 1.. but for no. 2 I can say that we can't control what other people are sharing, but we can certainly avoid it being submitted on the site or shared on the hub: We can add a notice: e.g. Please do not share copyrighted material, you will get banned/kicked... Please do not submit copyrighted scores on IMSLP.org or we can say that it is a private hub for imslp members only and that the hub is "protected by the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995". I need to know what the community thinks of sharing collections inbetween users (therefore it would be nice with some comments and all ;), we must surely be a handful of 100 great collectors on this site who all could see this kind of connection as very useful...
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

i think that using a DC++ hub is an exelent idea, i also think that it should be seperate from imslp for exactly the reasons that peter highlighted: yolu couldn't realistically share much of the existing collection like this and others would be free to bring copyrighted stuff onto it, possibly without it getting noticed.
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

precisely, it would indeed be very useful. most of us would want to share our own private collections (and take part of others). how should it be seperate from imslp? you mean that it shouldn't be imslp's own hub?