Glazunov 10 clarinet pieces

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Glazunov 10 clarinet pieces

Post by Eric »

(Ooh, we have pages for all 8 of his symphonies now. We were missing some of them for some time. Yes, I've been on the site for awhile now :) )

I have, courtesy of a very much liked semi-annual book sale, a mysterious Kalmus 1981 book of 10 clarinet duets (clarinet and other instruments) "by Glazunov". Worldcat suggests that it is a reprint of the 1958 book

Desi︠a︡t' malen'kikh duetov : dli︠a︡ druk︠h︡ instrumentov bez soprovozhdehii︠a︡

(see Worldcat)

by Gos. muzykalʹnoe izd-vo. I am guessing that the US copyright status is fairly well protected (presumably some editors should be specified. I also don't know if these are the original instrumentations of these works - I will do a melody-search on RISM, which has an incipit-search a little different from the Peachnote one but also quite useful, to see if perhaps they're based on piano works in manuscript of his, maybe- but arranged by... whom?... - anyhow it's a set of brief minuets and other character pieces. Still, it would be interesting to know if I could scan and upload it (or some of the other books I've been getting at these sales- I should ask to see if even those that seem very definitely copyrighted have been renewed, like the Caldara Regina Coeli (pub 1971)... hrm. Anyway. Right. Tangent, tangent, tangent.)

Eric
steltz
active poster

Re: Glazunov 10 clarinet pieces

Post by steltz »

Grove music doesn't have an exhaustive list, but they do way "ww duos", so it's a distinct possibility that these are original. Intriguing . . . .
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The likelihood of these being protected in the USA is very slim unless they are actually arrangements made by someone else for one of the hundreds of Soviet educational series. If it's just a Muzgiz urtext of Glazunov, it's free.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I don't know. (One of them as noted in Worldcat isn't a woodwind duo, btw, it's a clarinet/cello duo.) Hrm. Maybe I should, though not everything is previewed by Peachnote, try the melody-search to see if any of them are already in our database in a quickly-found way- and download some of the piano pieces etc. and compare the melodies...etc. Couldn't hurt, anyway, should have done already. Might scan and upload the score soon if that sort of thing pans out, though.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

In my workslist research, I didn't come across any clarinet duets, woodwind duets, or clarinet/cello, or anything using a clarinet as named instrument at all.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Well, the Reverie orientale is for clarinet quintet... (I didn't even know he wrote one until today, actually.) (at least, so the typesetter claims; source - of any kind - not given, rather distressing. "Arranged for piano as No.2 of 2 Pieces for Orchestra, Op.14 (1886–87)". <---- By the way, does it occur to anyone that that sentence doesn't make much sense?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

As for the quintet, our library has the Musica Rara edition, next time I'm in, I'll look to see if they give a source -- Musica Rara is usually quite good about explanatory notes in editions.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

that's good and promising (though if the one we have was typeset from that edition, that seems not legitimate :( )