IMSLP website(s) not working for me?

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP website(s) not working for me?

Post by Eric »

Now this seems contradictory- the "Is it down" site claims that IMSLP is up, that any problems I'm having are on - or closer to - my end - but the message i'm getting is

"IMSLP is currently undergoing planned maintenance and will be offline for the next few hours. This message will be removed once the process is finished."

(last night, and now.)
(anyone else, by the way?)
Last edited by Eric on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: okie, not "self" contradictory...
Rabenhorst

Post by Rabenhorst »

The same message appears for me. RTM
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Hrrrrmmmm. Ping sees imslp just fine, but now I try a traceroute- odd. It gets as far as iWeb (which I imagine is imslp's webhost?) but gets stuck there. Weird.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Have purged the DNS cache twice, have not been able to reach head, tail or antenna* of pieces - anyhow, anything on IMSLP in two days (and two days ago the whole site was down -anyway-). I gather that only a few people are having this problem, but it's still a mite odd.
Hrm.
Eric

*Apologies to Jeff Smith
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Eric - Your DNS cache is stuck somewhere (could be the DNS server your using, presumably from your ISP). We are no longer using iWeb, which is the old server.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

A couple of years ago (April 2011) there was a problem with the Music Publishers Association, and, as a temporary workaround (see here), I suggested to add the following two lines to the hosts file on the user's computer:

184.107.161.242 imslp.org
www.imslp.org

If the above lines are still present in your local hosts file, they have to be removed, as they prevent that the IP address of the new server is resolved by external DNS servers.

If this is not the case, you can try to use the same trick to force the use of the new IP address. The lines to be added to the hosts file are now:

192.95.29.59 imslp.org
www.imslp.org

Under Windows the hosts file is typically located in the Windows/System32/drivers/etc directory. It requires administrator privileges for editing, so you have to open Programs --> Accessories then right-click Notepad and select "Run as administrator".

Max
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

And here I thought IMSLP had just been down for 3 weeks!
My tablet doesn't allow me to run things as admin, so my solution was just changing my bookmark to be the IP address (192.95.29.59) instead of www.imslp.org.
Thanks for posting it!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Choralia wrote: If this is not the case, you can try to use the same trick to force the use of the new IP address. The lines to be added to the hosts file are now:

192.95.29.59 imslp.org
www.imslp.org

Under Windows the hosts file is typically located in the Windows/System32/drivers/etc directory. It requires administrator privileges for editing, so you have to open Programs --> Accessories then right-click Notepad and select "Run as administrator".

Max
Let's see if I can figure out how to do this on the latest Mac OS X. Probably. (Purging/refreshing DNS doesn't do it, but that's because, one guesses, it fixes a different problem. I recall- I think I recall- mucking about with the .hosts file once before. Oy, I'm off for vacation tomorrow morning, maybe I should wait until next week in case this blows up on me...)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Ok, managed to edit my .hosts file and re-refresh my DNS cache etc., and for worse or worse I can access imslp again (beware).

Not Apple transparency's best day, there... if too many other Mac users are having that problem I hope they also know how to figure out how (repetition only apparent, not actual) to edit the .hosts file &c... (some "sudo" commands are needed; remember your system password and be careful!...) -- but fortunately I have that proverbial little knowledge about UNIX &c (of course, still had to search online to figure out the exact commands/locations but I took that as given (harder to do if I have to fix something when my connection's down, but wasn't a problem now, though built-in documentation is pretty good too when needed.)) Thanks!