Moderator: kcleung

Sfan00
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mediawiki Score Extension.

Post by Sfan00 »

Hi IMSLP

Recently some work on a score extension for MediaWiki was seemingly completed.

It is now possible (assuming you can understand Lilypond markup) to directly place music notation into wiki pages!!

Example: http://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?ti ... al.djvu/32

Extension details:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Score

I thought this might be of interest to IMSLP users :) ~~~~
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Mediawiki Score Extension.

Post by pierre.chepelov »

Hi all,
I was about to ask for the same thing: I would love to be able to put a few notes in the wiki pages, especially in those beginning by "List of works by..."
Thematical catalogues are so superior to simple catalogues!

Personally, I'd like to work on this one: http://imslp.org/wiki/Talk:Chorale_Harm ... Sebastian) :)
And maybe on this one also: http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Franz_Abt ;-)

It could be also useful to be able to display themes on work pages, somehow the way RISM do...
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The potential for creation of composer work catalogues is tremendous. Fantastic news.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Apparently, Feldmahler has now made this available on IMSLP. An example of one use on individual work pages is to add the line |Incipit= in the general information section and then add your Lilypond markup. The musical incipit will appear in the top portion of the work page. An example can be seen for Viotti's Violin Concerto No.23.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Also, I've added a "zoom" setting which defaults to 80 (the standard of 100 looks a bit big I think) but can be between 20-800. (See IMSLP:Sandbox.)
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Cool (I just played with it: http://imslp.org/wiki/Horn_Sonata,_Op.1 ... udwig_van)).

Is it possible to have multiple on a page (one for each movement)?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yep - however many you want.
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

Is it possible to do a 4-voice keyboard incipit? I tried it with a working Lilypond file, but got nothing but text spread around the page. I could have missed something, of course. It would be nice to have a template if someone (sharper than me) could develop one.
pierre.chepelov
active poster

Post by pierre.chepelov »

How wonderful! Thank you!

Just one thought: prior to today the |Incipit= field was used for ''text'' incipits; maybe it is not the best thing to do to fill it with ''musical'' incipits.
Is it possible to create something like a |Musical or a |Thematic Incipit? And/or to rename all previous |Incipits as |Text Incipits or something similar? −before there is too much confusion between both sorts of incipits.

BTW I'm playing here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Talk:Chorale_Harm ... Sebastian) ;-)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

The text incipits could be placed in the "Alternative Title" field, where most of them are already.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

This is really cool!

There is so much potential with this.

Good job Feldmahler!

Update: I've added these to http://imslp.org/wiki/Sonata_for_Solo_C ... y,_Zoltán)
Last edited by Generoso on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

wrshannon wrote:Is it possible to do a 4-voice keyboard incipit? I tried it with a working Lilypond file, but got nothing but text spread around the page. I could have missed something, of course. It would be nice to have a template if someone (sharper than me) could develop one.
I wonder if using the raw=1 attribute would solve your issue. According to the documentation setting that attribute to 1 will cause the code to be treated as a complete Lilypond file.

As for the template I tried to set one up: Template: Inc primarily so it would place all pages with incipits into a category. I ran into two problems. First, the pipe character within the Lilypond code would have to be replaced with the Template:! and second the result is still displaying the text as if it were code--no image. Two possible explanations for the latter issue: 1. the score extension can't be used within a template. 2. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm leaning toward number 2.

In regards to the issue of text for vocal works being used in the |Incipit= field I don't think that should really be a problem. Would not the end goal be to replace the text-only incipits with ones that incorporated both the text and the music?
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

If the text appears early enough in the music, and if (unlike me) one knows one's way around LilyPond well enough to know text-setting (though - hrm. The (score- /score) does (seem to) limit what one can do if a LilyPond function requires going outside of a score bracket, e.g. header, book, or other brackets... ... maybe... hrm. ...

another problem is that it's stuck at LilyPond 2.16 (a bit tough to get used to when the project itself is now at 2.18 - not a quibble, since many of the overrides have changed - 2.18's overrides have the format

"(\once) \override x.y = #z" or things like that
while 2.16's are of the form
"(\once) \override x #'y = #z" (e.g.)

so 2.16's "\override Beam #'breakable" (or etc. etc. etc.- not one I've used; I tend to use most often overrides for e.g. dynamics (how long, does it go to or past end of bar; textSpanners (to cause a dashing dash effect of e.g. "poco -- rit. --------" up to a certain point) ... and a certain limited number of others... except as really needed...) probably becomes "\override Beam.breakable", and vice versa. Those now used, like me, to using the software I can install on my computer (the latest stable branch 2.18 - probably no longer fiddling with the development (2.19) versions, for now) will be doing a lot of documentation back-checking to 2.16-fortunately it's all there on the web...
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

Thanks to cypressdome!
This works perfectly:

|Incipit=<score raw="1">
\header { tagline = "" }
global = {
\set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
\key a \minor
\time 4/4
}
\parallelMusic #' (voiceA voiceB voiceC voiceD) {
% 01
d1 |
d1 |
d1 |
d,1 |
% 02
|
|
|
|
% 03
|
|
|
|
% 04
|
|
|
|
}
\score{
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff = "treble" {
\global \clef treble
<<
\relative c'' \voiceA
\\
\relative c' \voiceB
>>
}
\new Staff = "bass" {
\global \clef bass
<<
\relative c \voiceC
\\
\relative c \voiceD
>>
}
>>
}
</score>
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

A couple points:

1. As davydov mentioned on the Template:Inc talk page, the FTE template may cause certain oddities, but {{Inc}} would have been processed prior to the FTE template itself. Actually, I can't seem to make {{Inc}} work in non-FTE tables either (even with {{!}}), so I think it's a table problem, not a FTE problem.

2. We may upgrade to 2.18 in the future - will 2.16 code with with 2.18 as is?