Website Issues

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

imslp
Site Admin

Website Issues

Post by imslp »

It has been brought to my attention that the website might have been slow recently due to load issues. However, because I work on the website a fair amount (coding, etc.), my connection to it has stayed fairly fast, which makes me suspicious that my connection being fast might be because of caching.

Therefore, I would like for other IMSLP users to post page load times. You can estimate it, or time it if you have the right programs.

I just wanted to see how bad this is before I make a decision to switch to a dedicated server. The original plan was to switch in 4 months, but I might switch sooner if the load times are too bad.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

5.562 seconds and I am on a slow - mid speed broadband.

And all it loaded for http://www.imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Sitemap was:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

More information about this error may be found at http://support.netfirms.com/idx.php/0/002
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

IMSLP has been horribly slow for me for the past several days. There are also frequent "Internal Server Error" messages that result when clicking on a simple navigation link. I have a DSL connection, and I'm used to things running at a fairly decent speed. While the download speeds are excellent, the page loading speeds are considerably less than ideal.

Also, I noticed that the File Description template now has an aqua background color and takes up a lot more width than previously. I have to strtch my browser window to fill the entire monitor to fit it in - and I have am 18 inch monitor. The items with manuscript scans all appear with lines of code above the file descriptions as well.
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

For me it's about 5 seconds as well (I have a broadband connection through a wireless network).

I often have pages that don't load at all, or load with server errors, such as "The browser sent a request this server could not understand". It happens quite frequently, and often I must relaod the page, restart the browser, reboot the computer, or just wait a few minutes. It can be frustrating at times...
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I don't feel a difference - the server has been a pain in the arse for months. Slow loading is bearable, but way too many dead pages and errors - especially when you're editing this is hard to live with.

Has anyone seen the traffic double today ??? This must be a bot that's crawling us.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well... judging from the number of replies I think this is a major problem (actually, the site is also a pain for me too, with all the Internal Server Errors). And so, I'll switch to a dedicated server in a few days; I just need to clear something up with the new host before I buy their server.

I guess I should be happy at the speed IMSLP has grown haha :)

And ya, I think there might be a bot crawling the site, though the number of unique sites has also rocketed during the past few days...

Carolus: The manuscript problem should be fixed (it was a bug in the file template), you might need to force a cache purge on the page in question if it is still broken. The file template did get stretched a bit... I'll make it shorter soon (trying to find a compromise since everyone has different monitor sizes and browser window sizes).
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Also, I noticed that the File Description template now has an aqua background color and takes up a lot more width than previously. I have to strtch my browser window to fill the entire monitor to fit it in - and I have am 18 inch monitor. The items with manuscript scans all appear with lines of code above the file descriptions as well.
That's weird - the file description color hasn't been changed in months...? And the width is only incremented with 50 pixels last week?

What brower do you use, and what screen resolution? If my browser window is smaller than 700px, the file description table just get smaller to fit my window so I don't have to scroll.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Actually, I think the aqua background color has been there quite a while. The width of the template changed recently, though. I have to scroll to the right to see it all.

I'm running Internet Explorer Mac version 5.1 on an ancient G4 Mac with OS 9.22. I need to upgrade soon, but the $$$ has to come in first!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The IMSLP main site is down for me. Anyone else?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ArcticWind7 wrote:The IMSLP main site is down for me. Anyone else?
down here too. will be probably a temporary issue, but you never know that IMSLP has been seized by the publishing industry :lol:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hahaha... well this has been fixed. It is just the result of a pesky little bug that should be fixed soon. :)