Post by goombaruskirusky »

I just miss imslp.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Me too...

I'm trying my best to be patient, as I know what it's like being overloaded with work/ academic activity and then have something unexpected happen.

But that doesn't make it any easier.

Just a couple of days ago, I was listening to something nice on the radio and my first thought was "I'll just go to IMSLP and print off the score so I can read it as I listen...wait a minute, I can't do that any more..."

I've found it makes the time pass a bit quicker if you concentrate on acquiring and scanning scores, so that when IMSLP is up again, we can start uploading again (hopefully not all at once, or the system will crash!)

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
neilthecellist
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by neilthecellist »

Yeah, same here. Now, I have to drive 2-5 miles (roughly 10-20 minutes) to the UCSD library to check out a score... And it's not a guarantee either, because often times the scores I want are already checked out by another student.

Btw, aldona, what's the meaning of your signature? I don't quite follow.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

People are frustrated, so I'm going to let this thread stay alive, but no more! :P
Btw, aldona, what's the meaning of your signature? I don't quite follow.
Amateur musicians' music, is often no where near as pleasing to hear as professional musicians. However, because of the fact that they are not professionals, (no pressure, etc.) they often have the time and attitude to just sit down and enjoy the music they are playing regardless of whether it is perfect to listen to.

erm.. I think that's what it means anyway.
I've found it makes the time pass a bit quicker if you concentrate on acquiring and scanning scores, so that when IMSLP is up again, we can start uploading again (hopefully not all at once, or the system will crash!)
I have two Strauss operas to upload!
Last edited by Yagan Kiely on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

It's something I heard so long ago that I can't even remember where or who said it.

It's one description of amateur music - lots of fun for the "artists" to play but often painful for the audience to listen to.

It's a standing joke among my fellow amateur musicians and myself - all of us have other jobs and play music in our previous few moments of spare time for sanity. :wink:

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

I still don't follow. As a pre-professional musician myself, I would've said that amateur music is music that a musician/composer will fully understand, but will provoke confusion in the audience, since the music wasn't written/performed in a way that is easily comprehensible (hence amateur?).

Perhaps the misunderstanding is due to where we live. I reside in the United States.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Maybe the confusion is between the idea of "amateur as audience" vs. "amateur as performer".

I think ArcticWind7 hit the nail on the head.

It must be an "Aussie" thing.

Aldona
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

It must be an "Aussie" thing.
Nah, I'm in the US and I understood it. I did room with an Australian once for about 5 months so perhaps that warped my mind :). (He went through great pains to explain cricket and australian rules to me)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I've lived in Australia all my life and I still don't understand the appeal of either Aussie Rules football ("aerial ping-pong" or ballet) or cricket (which is marginally less exciting and fast-moving than watching paint dry or grass grow).

But then, I would never pass an Australian Values test. (as proposed by our former government for new migrants). I don't drink, am mostly vegetarian so I'm not into the big "barbecue" tradition, not into sport, and listen to classical music.

I guess everybody is weird in their own way.
I have two Strauss operas to upload!
I have another 200-300 Schubert Lieder - another little Kalmus pocket score book arrived today, so I'm a little closer to having the full complement.

Plus there is so much wonderful stuff on the Sibley and Danish Royal Library websites - can't wait to help with getting them all onto one site.

And my little collection of CD sheet music from a "readily available commercial resource", not mentioning any names. :wink:

Anybody who has the time and perseverance to upload a whole opera deserves a medal.

Aldona
smallporgies

Post by smallporgies »

I understood it... but I live in New Zealand, which is near Australia. But we Kiwis hate the Aussies! We have nothing in common! ;)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You like sheep, and pronounce fish and chips weird. :P And you think the same about us probably :P
smallporgies

Post by smallporgies »

We do think the same about you, except for the sheep thing. and the other thing. You like 'roos and pronounce more than just fish and chips weird. And that's bad grammar! :D Weee!
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

IMSLP got me out of so many tight situations, when I needed a score, and the library was closed...

The other day I had the very dubious honor of playing the harp part to the Nutcracker on a synthesizer (welcome to Arkansas) and lo and behold, the big cadenza in the Waltz of the Flowers was complete missing from the part. Normally I would go to IMSLP and print off the score (although I'm not sure if we had it before) and play from it, but this time I had to run all around town trying to find a real one. /sigh/

I wait in anticipation for the return of IMSLP. I haven't been so good as the others in scanning works in the interim, however. With grad school auditions coming up and a senior recital and orchestral appearances I don't know when I'll find time. Probably the summer...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Long time no see!

You should post more considering you are a moderator. :P
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

I suppose you are right... but I just was so numb after the site went down I found it hard to formulate my thoughts. I still haven't recovered. But what is there to say that hasn't already been said? It's coming back, so I just sit and wait. And practice, occasionally :roll: