Status update of UE negotiations

Archived threads.

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Just goes to show that this is degenerating into a farce on Irons and UE's part. With nothing substantial, they're just resorting to cheap claims so untrue it's laughable. I've already PMed Feldmahler my private thoughts about this.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Mr. Irons is resorting to childlike attacks. Quite immature, especially for a corporation.

They obviously have had some damage financially (be it little) from various black listings from IMSLP supporters to feel in necessarily to wield such a unthoughtout childlike attack.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Just wondering how far lower will they stoop? It surprises me even further that Mr Irons is still working for UE.
anggi

support imslp

Post by anggi »

i just wanna show my support to imslp. i can't thank you enough for giving us all here a chance to enjoy beautiful music.
i'm a student from indonesia. it's quite hard to find music scores here. even if you ever find some, they cost a great amount of money. when i found imslp, i went ecstatic. apparently, my teacher and i were sort of arranging materials for exam. after like hours of random search, i found Godowsky's Java Suite here. i hesitated at first, but anyway i tried to give them to my teacher just for an alternative. She was veeeery surprised. It turned out that my teacher had been looking for it all these years but never found it. she said, "how is it possible?" it was a rare piece of music. i mentioned about your site, and she still couldn't believe it. later, she chose Wayang Purwa for me to play for the exam. i couldn't have chosen a much better one than this.
it turned out great. i just passed my exam now, quite amazed that i could have a chance to play such beautiful piece,that has rich influence of my country's own cultural heritage. i couldn't have done it without imslp. thank you so much. it affects me this much, i think there are many more out there who feels the same way. i really hope that imslp will continue. you have my support.
leothelion

Post by leothelion »

Hello all,

I also want to show my support for IMSLP. I'm one of those half-serious piano players that try to finger out a piece every now and then, but usually isn't serious enough to learn an entire song in a few months. (After a few years I can usually play something, but that's after a series of practicing on-and-off.)

I'm not sure how your negotiations are going, but would it be possible to simply free domain music in accordance to Austria's rule of 70+ years postmortem? If that's what they're arguing about, then I see no reason for them to object if we share what's internationally public domain. I mean, websites like sheetmusicarchives.com even charge a subscription for unlimited access. I haven't seen anyone get on their case.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

To be honest, I do think that sheetmusicarchives.com should not charge a subscription fee for the public to access sheet music that is already in the public domain. What is free should remain free.
Cillian64
regular poster

Post by Cillian64 »

It's not that simple - as has been stated elsewhere, people can still bring lawsuits over obviously public domain works, and IMSLP doesn't yet have the legal framework to handle these. So, no matter how completely public domain all the works hosted on the site are, it must be done properly (I.e. with legal backing) rather than just bodged together again.

(You're not the only one in this position, I've been wishing for a decent copy of Bach's Cello suites for a long time - Mutopia project has some of them, which I am using at the moment, but the bowings are rather insane and a lot of the notes are just plain wrong. There is even a bar missing in the E flat major Prelude).
Vergouwen

Post by Vergouwen »

I only see ads on sheetmusicarchives.com?!? Is there another site/URL??

BdW what other sites are there out there for PD music?? There must be some sites one can use until IMSLP is back?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Vergouwen

Post by Vergouwen »

ay ay.. I found an overview of PD sites in another thread. My apologies.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

No need to apologise. Simple error. There are so many stickied threads, that its easy to overlook one. Speaking of which, I may get rid of outdated ones...
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Speaking of which, the forums need a little houskeeping as there are some threads that are going nowhere?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Yes, I shall do them tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me, for I had forgotten.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I have un-stickied some. I have also suggested Feldmahler make a sub-forum within the announcement forum and move all of the following threads there:

Second U-E cease and desist letter (new topic)
UE statement on the ongoing discussion
UE update Thursday 25th October
Do we live in a world without copyright law?
Responce to UE accusations
First Cease and Desist request and reply.
Second U-E cease and desist letter
How it started, a referrence

People won't be able to make new threads, but should be able to post.
Theo Delight

Post by Theo Delight »

Vivaldi wrote:Just goes to show that this is degenerating into a farce on Irons and UE's part. With nothing substantial, they're just resorting to cheap claims so untrue it's laughable.

UE is an Austrian company.

Wasn't Hitler also an Austrian? :)